iMac v Macbook Pro v Mac Pro

Reaction score
I am looking to invest in a new Mac and I need some advice. I will be running Final Cut Studio 2 and Aperture 2.0 on my machine. I want to make sure that I can run those programs with out any problems. I also have more than a 100GB of photos which I would like to store on my machine.

Here are my questions:

iMac - How will it cope with Final Cut Studio?

Mac Pro - Is it worth the extra money? Do I need it?

Mac Book Pro - Portability is the bonus here... cost is the concern. Also how will it handle 100gb of photos and final cut loaded on board?

ALSO WHAT SORT OF SPECS SHOULD I BE LOOKING AT AS A MIMIMUM FOR WHAT I WANT TO DO?

Many thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
I would say you would need a Mac Pro. If I remember correctly, Final Cut Studio is about 50GB, on top of 100GB of photos, and Aperture, a Mac Pro would probably be the best bet. Macbook Pro, I don't think would be able to keep up with all of those and all of that storage. iMac was just updated today and I don't have any experience with the iMac so I can't vouch for that, but the Mac Pro is a good computer.

For the Mac Pro I would say :
Two 2.8GHZ Quad - Core Intel Xeon (Standard)
4GB RAM (not through apple though, cause really expensive) (about $150)
500GB Hard Drive (standard)
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB (Two dual-link DVI) (standard)
Airport Extreme Card (standard)

Total: About $3,200

And WELCOME to the M-F!!!

Reaction score
I would say to get a EHD, maybe 250 or so you can store all your pictures and so on it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.