Yahoo! Messenger - Application Not Responding

Reaction score
I am having consistent problems with Yahoo! Messenger not responding. I am running Mac OS 10.5.2 and Yahoo! Messenger 3.0 beta 3 (98855). This is what happens:

1. Launch YM
2. Start a chat with somebody; type 1-N messages
3. Person responds - I can see the first message
4. At this point if either one of the people in conversation starts typing, YM hangs; if I click it in the dock it says "Application Not Responding"

I have un-installed and re-installed YM. I am just using chat and no voice/webcam. Anybody else having this problem?

When I kill the app (force quit) here is a bit of the report that is generated.

Thanks - Jim

Error report:

Date/Time: 2008-04-28 15:47:27 -0700
OS Version: 10.5.2 (Build 9C7010)
Architecture: i386
Report Version: 4

Command: Yahoo! Messenger
Path: /Applications/Yahoo! Messenger.app/Contents/MacOS/Yahoo! Messenger
Version: 3.0 beta 3 (98855)
Parent: launchd [149]

PID: 8867
Event: hang
Time: 50.71s
Steps: 410

Process: Yahoo! Messenger [8867]
Path: /Applications/Yahoo! Messenger.app/Contents/MacOS/Yahoo! Messenger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Well it is a beta. Try using Adium instead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
Yes I had the same problem two days ago. YM gave me the Application Not Responding error too over two days, I just sent the report to Yahoo and then YM relaunched. YM crashed about 5 times over those 2 days. YM hasn't done this now, somehow it fixed itself:)

I was also being disconnected and automatically connected a dozen times, this has stopped and was a problem at the Yahoo Server end. I posted about this in the Switcher's Forum.

OP
S
Reaction score
resolved

I tracked down the problem after trying another account that did not have the same problem. The problem was trying to use a custom sound. I had the following settings enabled:

Enable alert sounds
Event: Receive First Instant Message = Play Sound: Receive Message
Event: Receive Instant Message = Play Sound: Custom Sound (/Users/me/Library/Sounds/newalert.wav)

The .wav sound appeared to be corrupted (I checked the size against a Time Machine backup and the size was smaller). This explained why I was able to receive the first message (since the Receive Message sound was triggered) but not subsequent messages. I removed the Customer Sound and everything works.

Hope this helps out somebody in the future!

Reaction score
i'm having problems with the new beta too. for some reason whenever i try to sign on, it apparently does, but the interface still shows the sign in as in progress (blank with that little swirly thing at the bottom). any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
i'm having problems with the new beta too. for some reason whenever i try to sign on, it apparently does, but the interface still shows the sign in as in progress (blank with that little swirly thing at the bottom). any suggestions?

Try the non beta version?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.