iPhone volume, any fix?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2GHz
I've had my 4GB iPhone since a week after release. The volume at the earpiece is still WAY too low.

My buddy was in town over the weekend with his newer (Christmas time) iPhone. His volume was noticeably louder. In fact, at a restaurant, a friend called me, and I had to call him back on my buddy's iPhone because I couldn't hear my friend on mine.

I'm thinking about taking it to the Apple store to see if I may be able to get an exchange, but if there's anything I can do on it in-hand, I'd like to try it first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8 Gb iPhone/MacBook 2.2 Ghz/G5 iMac/ 8Gb iPod touch
This problem happened to me also. I could not find any in hand fix, I took it to the apple store and they gave me a replacement.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2GHz
I'm thinking that's what I'll have to do. It's still within 1 year. I'll probably even get an 8GB phone out of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Do you have the latest firmware? It seems one of the firmware updates was supposed to address the volume issues on some iPhones.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2GHz
Yeah, the firmware is current. One of the updates was supposed to 'fix' it. It did increase just a hair, but it's still unusable in even the most mildly noisy environs.

I KNOW it COULD go louder. When you dial, you hear that first ring at a much louder volume, then it drops. Same thing on my buddy's 8GB iPhone.

This is THE one problem I have with the iPhone. It's pretty much UNUSABLE unless you're in a completely quiet area. It would be an easy firmware tweak. I don't care if the battery doesn't last as long. I'd rather HEAR who I'm talking to and have to charge it more often.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2GHz
Got the phone swapped today. Definitely an improvement in volume. It's louder, but still not quite as loud as it should be. At least I'll have a much greater chance of actually hearing what people are saying when they call me in a semi-noisy environ.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
did you get the 8gb or did they have a 4gb for you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
if you jailbreak the iPhone, one of the tweaks available is a volume increase.
Normally the iPhone/Touch volume is set (in a plist file) to 6.9999996 (a lot of nines. I lost count) . The tweak backs up and replaces the plist file with one that changes the volume to 9.999996.
It's called "iAmp"

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2GHz
They had some 4GB phones, so I'm still with a 4GB. No sweat off my.... forehead. It works, that's what I wanted.

Voiceofra, I might have to check into that. I'll give the phone a little bit as it is, and if it's still lacking, I'll get to hacking.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.