Mac OS 9.2 Screenshot Help

Reaction score
Dear MacForums,

I was wondering if someone could help me with this issue i'm having with taking Screenshots on a Power Mac G4 Tower running Mac OS 9.2.

I know the configurations (Command + Shift + 3; etc), and I know where they save at and how to copy them to my flash drive, but the help is with the file format.

Every screen shot I have taken on that computer for my website (at least 30), saves as something called a "Simpletext Image File". I am wondering how I would either A) Convert this to a .JPG/ BMP (Via Windows Machine), or B) Get the Mac to save in a file more Windows friendly.

I run the website and do the editing on Windows, so its hard for me to work with this "Simpletext" image format. On Windows XP, the only program that will even attempt to open the file is Quicktime, which does a okay job with it, but I can't get it to go anywhere else from there.

Thanks, and if you all need any more questions answered on the system, I can try to do my best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
What you have there is a PICT bitmap. You should be able to open it in Photoshop (on Windows or the Mac) though you may have to add the .pct extension on Windows. Most older Mac graphics programs could open and convert it to something else...AppleWorks, for example, if you have that on the Mac.

OP
Reaction score
What you have there is a PICT bitmap. You should be able to open it in Photoshop (on Windows or the Mac) though you may have to add the .pct extension on Windows. Most older Mac graphics programs could open and convert it to something else...AppleWorks, for example, if you have that on the Mac.

Thanks! That solves my problem :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.