Keep Losing DHCP Connection

Reaction score
OK, here is my setup. Airport extreme hooked directly to cable modem. (I have earthlink service which is DHCP). IMac hooked directly to airport extreme using ethernet cable. Windows PC in network via wireless connection. Keep losing internet connection. I know there is a way to automatically renew the DHCP without having to manually connect everytime, but for the life of me I can't get it to work. I have been screwing around with this for 3 days now since I got my Airport Extreme.

OP
E
Reaction score
Problem Solved

Just a quick report back on this. Apple support had me do a "Hard reset" of the airport extreme and reset everything. Apparently I had changed something in the airport utility settings which screwed up my connection. All is working fine now. My thanks to Apple Support for this quick, and correct support.

OP
E
Reaction score
Answered this too quickly. Still having trouble dropping my internet connection. Connection to airport remains stable, but I lose the DHCP address. Airport has to reconnect, but usually only takes 5-10 seconds. Have called Apple support twice on this now. Will call for a third time this AM when they open. This seems to be either a software problem or something is wrong with the airport extreme?

Reaction score
There are two DHCP servers going on here, one from Earthlink so that your Extreme gets a signal. Then the Extreme sends out a DHCP link for your in house computers. Which is failing? Your computer's connection to the Extreme or the Extreme's connection to Earthlink?
Oh, and welcome to the forum!

OP
E
Reaction score
Connection from computer to extreme remains intack. Keep losing connection between airport and earthlink. Didn't have a problem when I was using a Linksys wireless router.

Reaction score
Did Earthlink have you try a straight IP address? It bypasses DNS which is often a problem, when it seems like your connection is blown type in:
What do you get?

OP
E
Reaction score
No, earthlink was no help at all. Had trouble understanding the tech. Then they had me reset the airport which screwed things up further. Had to go back to Apple support to get back on line. At least Apple has been trying to help. I have called Apple 4 times now on this problem. Latest from Apple is they said when my computer goes into sleep mode I lose the connection. Upon waking up the computer it does find the connection after a few seconds. (Tech said something about the hard drive powering back up, that's when it reconnects?). Not sure what number you are asking me about. I am somewhat of a novice when it comes to those things. All I know is earthlink's DHCP setup is supposed to be automatic?

Reaction score
Yes, Earthlink's DHCP is automatic, you do not need anything in your Network settings other than DHCP. It is normal for the hard drive to spin up and a couple of seconds delay before reconnecting after coming up from sleep mode. But now I don't understand your problem, do you have to make the laptop reconnect to the Extreme? Or does it just take a couple of seconds to automagically reconnect?

OP
E
Reaction score
The iMac is hooked directly to the extreme. It comes back after a few seconds. The PC is connected wireless via a "linksys wireless g pci adaptor". I have to reboot the PC to find the airport. I was just checking the settings on it and found one that said about powering the device off to save power. I unchecked that option in properties of the device. I will have to wait to see if that has any effect on it.

OP
E
Reaction score
OK. Waited two hours, woke up the PC and still had the wireless connection back to the airport extreme. I hope that was the problem. Will now wait overnight to see if I still have the connection in the AM.

OP
E
Reaction score
OK. Issue 1: Unchecking the "power this device off to save power" in the properties of the linksys adaptor solved my problem. Woke the machine up this AM and still had my internet connection. Issue 2: The only thing I don't like about the iMac when it powers down is that no Email is downloaded until the computer is powered back up from sleep mode, after power up all mail accounts are checked.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.