Vmfusion or parrales

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
so which is better Vmfusion or parrales?

I think it comes down to personal preferences. I own both and can honestly say they're about equal in most areas. I bought VMWare Fusion because they update far more frequently and their VMWare Tools is a lot more flexible on Linux. Also, at the moment, most of the performance reviews I've read seem to give the nod to Fusion.

I'd recommend you download trials of both and see which one you like better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, 2.5ghz, 4 gig Ram, 250 hard drive, 512 nvidia
I havent tried parallels as I had heard a lot of hype about fusion so tried fusion first and loved it straight away so never looked back. It works flawlessly and is supposed to be less resource hungry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
From what I read somewhere (maybe Leopard is different), uninstalling Parallels (even the demo) doesn't completely remove everything. I had tried it out, and then after removing it, found that pieces were still showing up in the system (network settings and such that it never removed). I saw some threads talking about it, confirming what I saw on my system. That turned me away from Parallels.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
Depends on exactly what you want to do with them.
I have tried VMfusion, Parallels and Virtualbox.
VMfusion is much better with Linux and also has downloadable preconfigured OS's.
VirtualBox is a free one that would suit most casual window users who just need a basic program to work.

OP
Elephant Inc
Reaction score
alright cheers
what are they like for directx apps? (nothing high spec as i know that wont work)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alright cheers
what are they like for directx apps? (nothing high spec as i know that wont work)

Supposedly, VMWare Fusion supports DX9, but I have yet to get any DX9 game to run on it (or any game at all that requires 3D acceleration).

Parallels supports DX8 and it does work on some games, but it's hit or miss and can be very slow.

You're best off to stick to Boot Camp for gaming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Waiting for MBP
Ok...Now from a previous thread CWA suggested bootcamp is not needed for XP. Now I want to know VMFusion vs Parallels. My understanding was with Parallels files can be easily transferred (dragged) from MAC desktop to XP. Also if you were in MAC Safari and selected an email address, you could set it up so Outlook on XP would open to send the email....Am I even close?

Geoff

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok...Now from a previous thread CWA suggested bootcamp is not needed for XP. Now I want to know VMFusion vs Parallels. My understanding was with Parallels files can be easily transferred (dragged) from MAC desktop to XP. Also if you were in MAC Safari and selected an email address, you could set it up so Outlook on XP would open to send the email....Am I even close?

Geoff

Parallels and VMWare Fusion are very similar. And yes, you can do those things with either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Waiting for MBP
Many Thanks again...One last question (for now) until this thing arrives!

I will install Parallels and VM fusion demos to try them both out. Will I need to install XP on each VM?

I am only planning a few apps within xp for now, Outlook, maybe Word (I have Office for MAC but don't like the current version of Entourage) just to play with the drag and drop and integration features.

Anxiously awaiting my MBP...sitting on a FedEx pallet in Shanghai!!!!!

Geoff

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many Thanks again...One last question (for now) until this thing arrives!

I will install Parallels and VM fusion demos to try them both out. Will I need to install XP on each VM?

Not necessarily. Fusion supposedly has the ability to migrate Parallels VMs. Likewise, Parallels has a program called "Transporter" that is able to take an existing PC and convert it into a VM. I'm sure in some way, you can use that feature to port the VM back into Parallels. It might take a bit of doing, but hey, at least you'll get to learn the ins and outs of both products.

I am only planning a few apps within xp for now, Outlook, maybe Word (I have Office for MAC but don't like the current version of Entourage) just to play with the drag and drop and integration features.

Anxiously awaiting my MBP...sitting on a FedEx pallet in Shanghai!!!!!

Geoff

Coming from someone who supports over 2000 Outlook 2003 clients in a corporate setting, I think Microsoft should have called it "LookOut!" instead of Outlook. I think you'll find the combination of Mail, iCal and Address Book to be more than a suitable replacement for Outlook. Although you will need The Missing Sync (linked to previously) for integration with your Windows Mobile device.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Waiting for MBP
I think Microsoft should have called it "LookOut!" instead of Outlook. I think you'll find the combination of Mail, iCal and Address Book to be more than a suitable replacement for Outlook. Although you will need The Missing Sync (linked to previously) for integration with your Windows Mobile device.

I love some of these MS nicknames! I WILL try to get OUT of OUTLOOK! I downloaded MISSING SYNC. As long as the demo lets me get a good idea of how it works! All will, HOPEFULLY, be good!

Geoff

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love some of these MS nicknames! I WILL try to get OUT of OUTLOOK! I downloaded MISSING SYNC. As long as the demo lets me get a good idea of how it works! All will, HOPEFULLY, be good!

Geoff

I find it funny that GM made the Saturn Outlook. I wouldn't want to buy a vehicle who name implies that it crashes, loses important items or is consistently unreliable ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
As I previously suggested, by all means try vmfusion and parallels demos but if you only want to use outlook and word the definately download and try virtualbox http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Screenshots

I run this free virtual machine maanger to run windows Xp with Office and other window apps.

Save your money if your needs are not great.
Wouldn't hurt to try it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.