imac vs. macbook pro

chs

Reaction score
Hi,

My wife and I bought a 15" macbook pro in 12/2007. She is a photographer and does various multimedia things.

Recently we decided that a bigger monitor would really help.

So my question is- As far as performance, power, etc. would the 2.0Ghz 24" imac be faster than the macbook pro with an external monitor? Which would be the best for the kind of thing that she does (cost and portability aside)?

Thanks,

chs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Hi,

My wife and I bought a 15" macbook pro in 12/2007. She is a photographer and does various multimedia things.

Recently we decided that a bigger monitor would really help.

So my question is- As far as performance, power, etc. would the 2.0Ghz 24" imac be faster than the macbook pro with an external monitor? Which would be the best for the kind of thing that she does (cost and portability aside)?

Thanks,

chs

The biggest advantage the iMac has is that the internal HDDs are faster. When you move from a laptop to a desktop, that overall feeling of being on a quicker machine is usually because of this.

Other than that, all things things being equal, there would be very little difference in terms of performance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Macbook, 2.5 gb ram, 80 gb hd, 120 gb external drive,10.5...8 gb iPod Touch
7200 RPM drive

The biggest advantage the iMac has is that the internal HDDs are faster. When you move from a laptop to a desktop, that overall feeling of being on a quicker machine is usually because of this.

Other than that, all things things being equal, there would be very little difference in terms of performance.

I agree. I have a 2 GHz MacBook and my friend has a 2 GHz iMac. When we both had a gig of ram, his iMac felt a lot snappier (even while not using graphic intensive things). Also, you can get a MacBook Pro with a 7200 RPM drive that is on the iMac for a 100 upgrade (buying brand new) or install it yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
the 7200rpm drive does make things 'spiffier' ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.