safari?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4.
Howdy all. I just my ibook this morning and im trying to set it up. Now i was wondering if there is a way to turn off the auto complete on web addresses? I cant seem to find a way to do it.

Thanks,
Keith

D

Devoidarex

I think what you need is under Safari>Preferences...>AutoFill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Why would you wanna turn off auto complete on web addresses? It's very convenient and all you have to do is just type out what you really want when it's different

C

code777

yeah, i hate autocomplete with a passion, i don't like it at all. especially when i let others use my iBook or iMac G5

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4.
witeshark said:
Why would you wanna turn off auto complete on web addresses? It's very convenient and all you have to do is just type out what you really want when it's different

when i got my iBook it already had websites in safari. for example when i go to google golfweb shows up, 1800flowers is in there too. It just there are websites that i didnt go to that are in there and its annoying when they all pop up when i start to type the url. I stopped using safari and am using fire fox now and you can turn it off in firefox so its all good now.

M

m1k

Just reset Safari, this should fix it (Safari menu->Reset Safari). Also clear caches (Safari menu->Clear Caches).

This fixes it.

Reaction score
I hate how it does that too, not because I don't want people to see things but if I start to type like www.imdb.com it will automatically put the / then the name of some movie or something and I always press enter before erasing it. It only does it on some sites but it's done it with apple too, typing in apple.ca it auto adds the /canadastore part and when I press enter it takes me to the apple store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Resetting Safari will clear all the old URLs out of the location bar.
(Actually, if you bought a used Mac, I'd suggest you reformat and re-install everything, just to clean out the cobwebs and make it "your" computer.)

If you're typing in a URL and you don't like the suggestion, though, just hit "delete" once and Safari will drop the auto-completed part.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
But no, you can't turn this 'feature' off.

It annoys me too sometimes, coming to this site for example I always get the 'post new reply' page instead of the main forum page. I now use a bookmark instead.

Try firefox if you can't learn to love safari...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.