New iMac's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Oh dear,
Please tell me I am not the only one who just lost £280 by buying the 2.8 Imac just 22 days ago!!
I understand the whole technology keep up thing but although I like the machine, that is a big hit for a switcher.
So why should I ever buy anything Apple again?

What exactly would you like Apple to do?

1.) Never ever release anything new
2.) Announce their next model 6 months in advance, so nobody buys the current model and the company goes bust?
3.) Become a charity instead of a business and away money to those who have 'lost out'?

Reaction score
Alexis,
The trouble with the written word is that it doesn't always convey real meaning.
I don't want Apple to do anything. I was just venting my emotions at my mis-fortune.
These are the times in life that teach us small lessons. Like, when I want a new phone, Apple won't be top of my list. And I'm sure they will be real gutted!

Neil - £280

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
Good improvements on the iMac, although there is only two options if you want a 20"LCD. I noticed the 20" 2.4GHz iMac now comes standard with 250GB Harddrive rather than the 320GB HD. But you can customise. Also cheaper too.

My 20" 2.4GHz iMac I have now which I got in January, is around the same price as the 24" LCD 2.8GHz iMac. I would of got a little bit more processor speed only.

Can you upgrade the graphics card on an iMac? My iMac detials in my info

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch Intel iMac 2.4 GHZ, 2GB RAM, 320 GB HDD and Running OSX 10.5.5
is it even thinner? :eek:

ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO w/256MB GDDR3 - is that a graphic card the previous imac had (before the update)?

Yes it is the same graphics card.

Reaction score
Alexis,
The trouble with the written word is that it doesn't always convey real meaning.
I don't want Apple to do anything. I was just venting my emotions at my mis-fortune.
These are the times in life that teach us small lessons. Like, when I want a new phone, Apple won't be top of my list. And I'm sure they will be real gutted!

Neil - £280

Then you probably don't want to buy anything electronic ever again because a new version of what you just purchased is always only months away. Happens with ALL phones, all computers and just about anything else in life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83Ghz Core 2 Duo, 1GB ram, 160GB HD. iMac 20" 2Ghz Core 2 Duo Aluminum, 2GB ram, 250GB HD
****!! I paid £799 six months ago for a new aluminum iMac 2GHz only to find out that if I had waited until now I could of bought the new iMac aluminum with faster CPU @ 2.4Ghz at the same price:Angry:

Still I guess its the old story of spending alot of money on a computer only to find out a few months later that one with better specs and the same price has been released.

How much would you reckon I'd get for my late 2007 aluminum iMac 2.0GHz, 2GB ram? So I can sell it and get the new 2.4Ghz version.

Please advise

Artmuzz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
****!! I paid £799 six months ago for a new aluminum iMac 2GHz only to find out that if I had waited until now I could of bought the new iMac aluminum with faster CPU @ 2.4Ghz at the same price:Angry:

Still I guess its the old story of spending alot of money on a computer only to find out a few months later that one with better specs and the same price has been released.

How much would you reckon I'd get for my late 2007 aluminum iMac 2.0GHz, 2GB ram? So I can sell it and get the new 2.4Ghz version.

Please advise

Artmuzz

I hope you're kidding..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83Ghz Core 2 Duo, 1GB ram, 160GB HD. iMac 20" 2Ghz Core 2 Duo Aluminum, 2GB ram, 250GB HD

dfb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 24 inch. 2.4ghz
I bought an OPEN BOX 8 days ago... I was in the return period and returned the mac last night... Got the new Imac...24 inch with the 2.8 .... Nice machine....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Is there any issue with the new iMac 20" LCD screen as per previuos models?

I checked the specs on the Apple web site. It would appear that the 20" and the 24" are still using different LCD types. Here are the key stats from the Apple spec sheet:

20":
==
Brightness: 290 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio: 800:1
Viewing Angle: 160 degrees vertical and horizontal

24":
==
Brightness: 385 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio: 750:1
Viewing Angle: 178 degrees vertical and horizontal

This tells me that the 20" is still using the lesser TN LCD technology while the 24" is still using the superior H-IPS LCD technology.

So, my guess is that the 24" will look noticeably better than the 20" when viewed side by side.

Reaction score
Why do people buy Macs at Besy Buy instead of going to the Apple Store? I mean, if you want to return the computer you just bought and pay a difference for the newer 3.0 ghz iMac I'm pretty sure that Best Buy ain't gonna be very helpful, while the Apple Store probably would.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5 GHz Pb G4 2 GB, imac 2.4 GHz 2 GB, iphone 16 GB
well i for one had someone purchase it for me at best buy because they happen to be travelling through a state that doesn't have an apple store... so...
i'm just trying to take advantage of the weak dollar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 3.06GHz, 2GB Ram, 880GS Video; 500GB HD
I just hooked my new one up, so far it's beautiful. I'll try to post a bit of the differences I've noticed in speed on certain apps later tonight :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I just hooked my new one up, so far it's beautiful. I'll try to post a bit of the differences I've noticed in speed on certain apps later tonight :D

Hey Josh, your machine specs are exactly the model I am thinking of. The one thing I am worried about is noise. The machine sits right on your desk, literally inches from your ears. How quiet is it? I figure the 3.06 will run hotter than the slower models, and thus drive the fans harder, creating more noise. Are you noticing any noise? Ideally, the iMac would be like a laptop - barely noticeable except when you really crank it.

Any and all input much appreciated. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 2.8G, 24", 2 gig ram and it feels good
I exchanged mine today & I can not tell you enough that this runs way better than the one I exchanged it with. Everything runs so smooth.

Reaction score
Im gonna sell my new 2.0 ghz iMac in august and get the new 3.0ghz one.

Wish this was available when i got this machine!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5 GHz Pb G4 2 GB, imac 2.4 GHz 2 GB, iphone 16 GB
If you bought it Saturday... Call Apple... no worries there.

I exchanged mine today & I can not tell you enough that this runs way better than the one I exchanged it with. Everything runs so smooth.

that's wonderful for you. but what was the difference in the specs for you? from 2,4 to 2,8 ghz? cause unless you have more RAM now, this difference in processor power shouldn't throw you on your knees. i'm only saying, please take no offense, there's more to numbers than this

Reaction score
I was making arrangements to sell my 2.8 Extreme with 4GB ram to my friend yesterday when I heard about the updates. Then I started reading about how many problems the Nvidia 8000 series GPU has with Leopard. Apparently it causes all sorts of problems and is pretty unstable.

Here's a few links discussing the problem.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1065674&tstart=0
http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=86054&st=0&p=610629&#entry610629
http://masonmark.com/2008/04/more-mac-os-x-105-full-system-crashes/
http://forums.mactalk.com.au/12/45688-graphics-channel-exception-mac-pro-w-8800gt.html
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=436293

I think I'll hold off until they figure out the problems with the GPU/drivers. My ATI powered iMac runs like a champ so I see no reason to sell it right now and buy one that's likely going to have problems right out of the gate.

Also, the 3.06ghz processor isn't the next gen Intel processor even though its clock speed would indicate that it is. It's an over clocked 2.8ghz chip which means it's not really all that much faster than my 2.8ghz... but it will run hotter.

I'm going to wait a few months and see how users like them before I jump and buy one. I'm way to happy with my 2.8ghz Extreme setup right now to dump it and get something that might not be as stable for a modest performance increase.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.