Back to my Mac, iDisk question

Reaction score
Hi, I have my iMac since Sept.07 and got a Macbook Air yesterday. Love every minute of it.

Today I set up my MBA for access to my iMac both through wireless at home and through Back to my Mac when out.

However, I have never used iDisk. If I have the option of using Back to my Mac, why would i need iDisk? As for iDisk, I'm assuming that this is space I have on my .Mac account, so would I be putting stuff in there that I might want to access through my .Mac account?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Think of it as a hard drive you have access to on Apples servers. Since well, that's exactly what it is. You can store things there for yourself, share them with others etc. There's even a backup program you can download from .mac that will backup items to your iDisk. I used it last to back up items as I was sitting at the genius bar before an appointment.. that it turned out I already knew the answer to, just not where the offending corrupted file was

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
If you need to access files from multiple computers over the internet, storing them on the iDisk is usually faster.

If you access them over Back to my mac, your iMac at home would need to be running, it then has to upload them over the net to you (and upload speeds are usually pretty low) each time you want to access the file.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.