USB ports not working!

Reaction score
ok, everybody...
a few days ago, my macbook stopped recognizing my iPod... turns out it won't recognize ANY hardware connected to my USB ports... I've already tried repairing disc permissions and all the basic solutions people offer, and I don't know what to do...

please help! if you need any more information, let me know and I'll soon provide it...
Thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
ok, everybody...
a few days ago, my macbook stopped recognizing my iPod... turns out it won't recognize ANY hardware connected to my USB ports... I've already tried repairing disc permissions and all the basic solutions people offer, and I don't know what to do...

please help! if you need any more information, let me know and I'll soon provide it...
Thanks!

Sounds like a hardware problem. Anything odd happen recently while using the USB ports (like plugging in a questionable device?). Have you tried running the Apple Hardware Test?

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for your response, cwa107.
Unfortunately, the Apple Hardware Test resulted with everything checking out fine... I don't want to take drastic measures and sending it back to Apple as defective... I've only been using the USB ports with my iPod and thumbdrive... nothing unusual...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your response, cwa107.
Unfortunately, the Apple Hardware Test resulted with everything checking out fine... I don't want to take drastic measures and sending it back to Apple as defective... I've only been using the USB ports with my iPod and thumbdrive... nothing unusual...

There's not a whole lot else you can do if the problem is consistent across all of the ports and with multiple devices, unfortunately.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gig,Mac OS X Maverick, Macbook Intel 2gig, iPhone 3G
restart holding down the shift key for safe mode, then restart again, it should fix it

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
restart holding down the shift key for safe mode, then restart again, it should fix it

Please explain how starting in Safe mode would impact the functionality of the USB ports.

OP
L
Reaction score
aww, cheeseburgers... you're right, cwa107... guess i'll just have to face the music, bite the bullet, uhh... eat the worm...
****... thanks anyway! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.