Lacie HDs + carbon copy cloner

B

blenford

Hi all. I bought myself a LaCie 160gb hd which is all great, and i downloaded carbon copy cloner as i'd read a previous post on here that said it was the easiest way to back up your system.

BUT... when i open ccc, even with the HD up and running and on the desktop, it gives me a message saying it can't find any disks mounted on my system apart from the system disk.

what's going on?

OP
B

Badger

Is the LaCie disk formated for the Mac? If not, reformat it and try again.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Is the LaCie drive mounted and an icon displayed on your desktop, showing that it is available for use.

OP
B

blenford

funnily enough i solved the problem but there seems to be no logic to it.
i could see a drive, it was formatted and everything, disk utility told me it was mounted but ccc refused to play ball.

so i partitioned the drive into two and then - hey presto - all was well. backup achieved.

still doesn't make sense though, not to me anyway.

OP
B

Badger

You don't mention the mac model but some older ones have problems recognizing large drives. I think 128 gb is the cut-off. By partitioning you probably created two partitions within the limit. The important thing is that it worked.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.