Windows XP install + Leopard Boot Camp = blue screen error

Reaction score
I'm trying to install Windows XP (SP2 and it's a full Home version disc) on my MacBook and I keep encountering blue screen errors during the install. I successfully create the Windows partition with Boot Camp and then Windows install begins. However, during the setup process, on the screen where it says "Windows Setup" in the upper-righthand corner and along the bottom it shows all the install files it's loading, it hangs and then eventually throws an error. There has been a different error each time I've tried to install. I've booted in OSX and then deleted the Windows partition through Boot Camp and then attempted the process from the beginning three separate times and each time I get an error during the initial install phase.

I've search the internet far and wide and the only problems seem to be encountered after the install completes. Anyone have any idea how to get this to work??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
sounds like your XP disc is corrupted. That phase of the process has nothing to do with Bootcamp as far as I know, it's just the computer reading the disc. If you just purchased it, you may want to try exchanging it for a new copy.

OP
P
Reaction score
Well I installed XP with Parallels without a problem. In fact, I wouldn't even be trying to install under Boot Camp if it weren't for a particular Windows program that doesn't play nice with Parallels (loses USB connection intermittently; only afflicts this one program for some reason).

Anyway around this?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well I installed XP with Parallels without a problem. In fact, I wouldn't even be trying to install under Boot Camp if it weren't for a particular Windows program that doesn't play nice with Parallels (loses USB connection intermittently; only afflicts this one program for some reason).

Anyway around this?

Is it a retail disc or OEM?

Reaction score
I can confirm that copying the CD worked for me. In fact, I accidentally copied the CD to a DVD - so not sure if that helped the situation or not. I do know that some drives are cranky with CDs if they are DVD burners.

I had the same issue and it went away when I made a copy on the Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.