Syncing a MBP and MBA

Reaction score
First time poster long time reader here...

So I am already the proud owner of a MBP and am very thankful to have just received a MBA as a gift. I am thinking that I will most likely use the MBA for travel and couch surfing, but the MBP will still be day to day workhorse. I have been kicking around ideas of how to keep the two sync'ed so that that MBA basically just picks up where the MBP is at the end of the day. I would appreciate any advice you have on these three ideas I have:

- Back the MBP to an external usb-hd with Carbon Copy Cloner and then reimage the MBA from that drive (downsides: slow, requires drive, only one-way sync)

- Rsync MBP to a folder on my NAS (via NFS or AFP) and then rysnc the MBA to that same NAS (downsides: not sure what to rsync, may miss hidden files, slow access to NAS)

- Use the already set-up Time Machine backups of the MBP on my NAS as a restore point for the MBA (downsides: possible?, slow access to NAS, not sure if 2way sync)

So thats it, if I can figure out a good way to make this work I will write up a howto since I haven't found much information about this in the google-verse and think that maybe this is something else other folks want to try...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
You might want to think about getting a .mac account. You can sync files, folders, contact info, access you other Mac over the internet, and a bunch of other things.

http://www.apple.com/dotmac/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.