Wi-fi spots where?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 256MB 1.33 GHz, 60GB hard drive, airport extreme, combo drive. Also own a PM G4. Old Skool
I hope wi-fi is the right word. I'm a total newb when it comes to wireless internet. I don't even have my new iBook yet.

Anyway I have a simple question I hope. How do you know what stores, places in a city, (so outside a store) and anywhere else have a wireless network?

Is there a website to check, like some sort of directory?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
They normally have a sign up somewhere.

For example: The san francisco coffee bar near university has a sign on the counter offering wifi services free with a large beverage or for a few €'s per hour...

My university has green signs up at certain points indicating wifi coverage...

Most likely you'll just see a sign.. I don't know of any directory...

It's not EVERYWHERE (yet) as some people would like you to believe. A sales guy actually told my friend who was buying a (PC) laptop that he would be able to surf on the train all the way around town!?!

And THAT was his argument for buying an external wifi device, although there was one built-in???!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Aptmunich said:
It's not EVERYWHERE (yet) as some people would like you to believe. A sales guy actually told my friend who was buying a (PC) laptop that he would be able to surf on the train all the way around town!?!

And THAT was his argument for buying an external wifi device, although there was one built-in???!!!

Maybe he meant Cell Phone WiFi, PCMCIA Cards with an external antenna. Which is quite expensive BTW (approx $80 to $90 a month!) - I don't know what the max data usage limit is per month for something like that (10MB, 100MB, etc)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
No, he just meant plain old regular wifi.

Cell phone wifi is called UMTS over here in yurrup, and the cards are only supplied by the carriers (t-mobile, vodafone etc.), this was just your standard generic WLAN card he was trying to sell...

C

code777

i work downtown in the city and there are tons of wifi spots. The corporation I work for has it but you need a WEP key to access the network. However if I just walk around outside I can link up to many unsecured wireless networks. There are three bars/cafes that have it for free but it goes to show, secure your wireless networks!

U

UnderOath

my university offers it free, but it always is quite slow - i can usually hook up to at least 3 right in my neighborhood... i know im bad :(

Reaction score
My college has it in just about every building, it would be nice if it would work outside but it doesn't. Those search sites that people posted links to are nice, but the best local place around me that has FREE wifi is Panera bread, and it isn't listed on any of those sites. If you have one of those around might want to check to see if they have it.

C

code777

my friend told me of an "unauthorized" wifi war-driving page that had actual "locations" (private homes and businesses) but i am pretty sure it has been taken down because of privacy issues. that's scary... secure your networks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
code777 said:
my friend told me of an "unauthorized" wifi war-driving page that had actual "locations" (private homes and businesses) but i am pretty sure it has been taken down because of privacy issues. that's scary... secure your networks!
always use wep and require a password for network access.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I recently spent some time in Waikiki on business. My hotel offered "limited" wireless access for $11.99/day. By limited they meant it only worked in certain rooms on certain floors. I asked for and was given one of these rooms. When I turned on my iBook, it found the Hotels network, but had issues connecting to it. Along with my hotels network, I found 5 other networks within the vicinity, 3 of them did not have WEP enabled and had no password requirement. I chose the best signal of the 3 and surfed the web for 4 or 5 days for free off some poor schmucks network. His d/l speed was 1.1Mbps. The nearest likely home for this network was a Condo complex between 500 and 1000 yards away from my hotel, unless the Burger King of the Catholic Church across the street had their own wireless setup.

My point here is, it never hurts to look. It's amazing how many open networks you can find to get on and surf from. War-Driving is alive and well and fairly entertaining.....

N

NightWolf0829

Hey, new poster here. I am new to the WiFi scene, but i found this site helpful, www.wardrive.net tools and there is (was) a list of notified spots!

My $.02

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
just use an app like macstumbler to find wireless connections that arent using wep.:mac:

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 256MB 1.33 GHz, 60GB hard drive, airport extreme, combo drive. Also own a PM G4. Old Skool
Macman said:
just use an app like macstumbler to find wireless connections that arent using wep.:mac:

Where can one find that? Is it freeware or shareware? Thanks

*edit* Also reading the previous link, I'm not looking to "steal airspace" to surf wirelessly. All I wanted to know is where you can surf wirelessly. From most of the sites I've read, a lot of places you need some subscription service.

Ah well I mainly want to be wireless for a small home network anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.