Discovered neat trick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
I'm sure some of you already know this, and are like "Duh... everyone knows that" but, I found this yesterday and thought it would be cool to share incase anyone didn't know. I didn't exactly know how to move items between spaces without opening them in the correct space, or opening up spaces and dragging them across. But, I found out if I held control, and brought the window I wanted to move, it would bring it to that space, whichever side I brought it to. :) drag to side you want, then press control = move which space it is it!

EDIT: I don't even think you need to press control... just hold it there for like 2 seconds and it will change.

Reaction score
Good tip! I tried Spaces with the original release of Leopard and it ate my Mail accounts alive. I haven't tried it since, maybe I'll give it another go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Um, that actually is a pretty cool trick which I didn't know you could do, and I use spaces pretty extensively. Usually I'd use the Exposé F8 trick of blasting all the spaces out then drag a window I want in another way with that.

I have my spaces arranged such that number one is email and chat, number three is all things web and browsing, four is sound editing and music, two is photo editing and movies. I keep apps pretty segregated to each space so I don't usually have to move windows between them. However Finder windows are different. They're all over the place open to whatever happens to be getting worked on in all the spaces.

Sometimes though I'll want to attach a document to an email I'm composing in space 1, but I already have my Documents folder open in a finder window in space 2 because I'm working on it in Pages. Why open another one and search the folder again just to drag it into the email? Command-arrow over to space 2 where it's already right there, then drag that Finder window over to space 1. Grab document and drag into email, then drag Finder window back to space 2! I just eliminated about three steps and need to use the keyboard! Yay!

Which is good because my external keyboard just ran out of battery while composing this post. Had to finish it with the internal. :Angry-Tongue:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
That is a good trick. I figured it out one day when I was dragging a window down to the bottom to see my desktop and it suddenly went to the lower space.

Also, in case you didn't know, you can use CTRL+arrow keys to quickly move around to your different spaces instead of F8 or whatever key you have Spaces view set to. (mine is F2 b/c I'm a lefty)

I personally have't used Spaces very much because it seems a little buggy. Usually when I want to use it, it's to separate several PDF, Preview, or Office windows. And when you have multiple windows for the same program in different spaces, it can get a little confused and start messing up. Plus multiple Office windows, like 2 Word files, for example, actually will not stay in more than one space. If you drag one, the other will follow. At least that's been my experience.

One thing it's great for, though, is if you need to run Windows, you can run it full screen and toggle between it and OSX desktop. But that also has some minor bugginess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
I would personally like a key combination to move an application to a different space without dragging that application (i.e. cmd-control-arrow key)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Also, in case you didn't know, you can use CTRL+arrow keys to quickly move around to your different spaces instead of F8 or whatever key you have Spaces view set to. (mine is F2 b/c I'm a lefty)

I neglected to mention that I only used the F8 spaces view to move windows between, not switch spaces. I use the keyboard to switch them all the time. This trick negates the need for keyboard action to move a window from one space to another.

Another thing I neglected to mention is that I remapped the space switching key combo from ctrl-arrow to command-arrow. Reason being that I like to do a lot of one handed space switching and while I have control keys on both sides of the space (heh) bar on my external keyboard I only have one on my Macbook's keyboard. It's reeeeeeaallly far away from the arrow keys too, so if I'm out in the world I have to use two hands to switch spaces with the default space switching combo. I have a command key on both sides of the space bar thus close enough to the arrows on both keyboards for single handed space switching, hence the change. When I'm out in the world, I'm often in a café or something like that thus one of my hands is occupied with a sandwich or coffee while I'm browsing and doing other stuff.

(I note that my hands are big enough to just reach the left arrow key and control key on my Macbook keyboard, but I need to go to the right and up sometimes :Smirk: )

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.