Did i destroy my Firewire ports?!

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm worried that I have broken my firewire ports or something. Admittedly stupidly, I put the wrong power cable into my external firewire hard drive.

The lead comes in two parts: a box shaped bit and lead that goes into the back of the drive, and then the power cable from the socket to the box shaped bit. It's this latter part i think may have been 10 watts over than it should have been. I smelled a burning but didn't realise the error until after i tried the drive in both firewire ports. I'm worried that it was coming from the ports...they're not working any more with any peripheral device I try.

Any help or advice how I can try and test them is much appreciated.

Kiearn

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It sure does sound like it if neither of the ports are working. Have you tried a different Firewire device besides the external hard drive?

OP
K
Reaction score
yeah i tried capturing from a video camera. still no dice. there's no error message on the firewire section of system preferences, just lists the bus speed.

is it even feasible that i overpowered them with the wrong wattage?

thanks for any help with this...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
yeah i tried capturing from a video camera. still no dice. there's no error message on the firewire section of system preferences, just lists the bus speed.

is it even feasible that i overpowered them with the wrong wattage?

thanks for any help with this...

Yes, it's possible - and seeing as you can't get either of them to work with multiple devices, I would say that's exactly what happened.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.