Vmware fusion + Games

Reaction score
I have read on the vmware website that V1.1.2 supports Dirext X 9 games while you are running windows xp. Im intrested in this to run the ocashional game that I may play.

Has anyone tried this, and does it work well?
Is the latest vershion Direct X 9?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I don't know how true it is. I play Counter Strike Source sometimes, which is DX9, but it will not play through Fusion.

EDIT: I check my version of Fusion and it is only 1.1.1. I'm updating to 1.1.2 now, but unfortunately I no longer have the game on my computer. If you go a Google search for the name of your game with VMWare or Fusion in your search, I bet you'll find someone out there talking about whether or not it works.

In the end I personally think you're much better off just running it via Bootcamp. Yes reboot is a bit of a pain, but it honestly only take a couple minutes, and that's not a big deal when you consider you're already taking time to start the virtual machine and boot up windows that way. Plus even when games to work through virtual machines, I've heard that playability and framerate are severely reduced, which kills any fun of playing. Just take a minute to reboot IMHO.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have read on the vmware website that V1.1.2 supports Dirext X 9 games while you are running windows xp. Im intrested in this to run the ocashional game that I may play.

Has anyone tried this, and does it work well?
Is the latest vershion Direct X 9?

I had more luck getting Parallels to play games (all it supports is DirectX 8). Thus far, Fusion hasn't run anything that requires 3D acceleration for me.

DirectX 10.1 is the latest version, but is a Vista specific "feature" (in other words, an artificially compelling reason to "upgrade" from XP, but I digress...).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.