Ringtone problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz, 8GB iPhone
Hi, I purchased an entire album that was capable of being used as a ringtone but in my library, it doesn't show the bell in the column (yes I have the "bell" column viewable). I went back to the iTunes store and it still shows bells for all the songs. What's the deal here??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I'm sorry, I'm not answering your current problem here as I don't use iTunes for music any more. But for future reference, I highly recommend you start buying your music from DRM-free sources like Amazon's mp3 store. The biggest reasons being that you actually have more ownership over your music than iTunes DRM music for the same price, and you can make ringtones from them for free using Apple's Garageband software or other free music software if you don't have iLife '08. Amazon is a very good alternative to iTunes because the music is DRM-free, Amazon also has one-click shopping, and their downloader will automatically import the music you buy into iTunes. With Amazon's service available, there's honestly no reason to ever buy DRM music from iTunes again.

But as for your immediate problem, if the music you bought happens to be DRM-free iTunes Plus music (which I'm guessing it's not) you can still make free ringtones with it which is perfectly legal and easy to do, and save yourself some money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
I'm sorry, I'm not answering your current problem here as I don't use iTunes for music any more. But for future reference, I highly recommend you start buying your music from DRM-free sources like Amazon's mp3 store. The biggest reasons being that you actually have more ownership over your music than iTunes DRM music for the same price, and you can make ringtones from them for free using Apple's Garageband software or other free music software if you don't have iLife '08. Amazon is a very good alternative to iTunes because the music is DRM-free, Amazon also has one-click shopping, and their downloader will automatically import the music you buy into iTunes. With Amazon's service available, there's honestly no reason to ever buy DRM music from iTunes again.

But as for your immediate problem, if the music you bought happens to be DRM-free iTunes Plus music (which I'm guessing it's not) you can still make free ringtones with it which is perfectly legal and easy to do, and save yourself some money.

Well all you have to do to remove DRM coding from music purchased from iTunes is burn it onto a CD, and re-import it, or use iMovie and remove it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
Do any of your songs have the ringtone bell on them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
Hi, I purchased an entire album that was capable of being used as a ringtone but in my library, it doesn't show the bell in the column (yes I have the "bell" column viewable). I went back to the iTunes store and it still shows bells for all the songs. What's the deal here??

I have never used the ringtone feature, but I believe that you have to pay an extra 30 cents to use the song as a ringtone(I believe that you just bought the song and not the right to use it as a ringtone), and you have to purchase it separately, but I'm not a hundred percent sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have never used the ringtone feature, but I believe that you have to pay an extra 30 cents to use the song as a ringtone(I believe that you just bought the song and not the right to use it as a ringtone), and you have to purchase it separately, but I'm not a hundred percent sure.

Actually, I think it's another 99 cents unless Apple lowered the price, which is why the way I mentioned is better. I guess I didn't think the OPer may not know that it is an additional cost.

OP
Rizzo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
kfordham, no there is no bell next to the songs in MY library but there is a bell next to the songs when you view the album in the music store.

If you buy the song, it's an extra 99 cents to use it as a ringtone. I'm confused because I bought the songs, but now there is no bell next to them in my library....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
Dumb question; Have you synced the iPhone at least once with iTunes?

Also, in preferences have you checked the Ringtones box (under general)?

@Waterpolo820: It's an extra $.99 to buy the ringtone. Once you click the "bell" icon in your library and select the portion of the song you want use as a Ringtone, you can then buy the ringtone. You don't buy it at the time of the song purchase. I didn't know it either until I was messing around iTunes trying to help the OP out.

OP
Rizzo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I have synced the phone more than once. I was starting to wonder if you have to just buy the song that you want in order to make it a ringtone but I bought another album last night and for about 5 minutes after I downloaded it, there were bells next to the songs in my library. This morning, they're gone....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just can't understand why you're continuing to handing money over for DRM music and willing to pay again for a ringtone when you can buy it DRM-free for the same price and have FREE ringtones. But, to each his own.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
I just can't understand why you're continuing to handing money over for DRM music and willing to pay again for a ringtone when you can buy it DRM-free for the same price and have FREE ringtones. But, to each his own.

completely agree with you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2GHz
How does one make a ringtone from Garageband? (I'm about to search, will update if I find it)

Found it. Not quite as granular for editing the sound... but then that was the first time I used GarageBand. I'll have to play around with it more to tweak my ringtone.

OP
Rizzo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry dude I'm not paying all that money to upgrade Garageband just so I can use it to make me a ringtone. You've made your point about drm crap so thanks. Any other ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry dude I'm not paying all that money to upgrade Garageband just so I can use it to make me a ringtone. You've made your point about drm crap so thanks. Any other ideas?

As I said in my original post:

. . . and you can make ringtones from them for free using Apple's Garageband software or other free music software if you don't have iLife '08.

I'm just trying to help you out. It takes little more than some internet searching, a program download, and a little time to learn to make them (as in minutes). And you don't have to get all upset again because that's all I'm going to say, and you don't have to worry about getting any more help from me. Have a nice day.

Reaction score
if you go to audiko.net you can download their ring tones, or upload your own and edit it on their site. it is very handy. just click the download ringtone for iphone and it will download and save it in your itunes library as a ringtone. for free.

Reaction score
widecircles

using this you can download their ring tones, or upload your own and edit it on their site.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.