Paragon NTFS HUGE PROBLEM!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
So basically I didn't sleep at all last night because of this problem. I have an external HD and its formatted in NTFS so I can transfer between my mac and pc. So that its read and writeable, I installed Macfuse with NTFS-3g but then it suddenly stopped working after transfering some files to a friends pc. After hours of trying to do a disk check, etc. on it I had no luck getting it out of the "read only" mode, even after reinstalling ntfs-3g. So I decided to buy paragon-NTFS (yes, $40) and when I installed it, it looked like problem solved. It now says the drive can read and write. Everything seemed good, I tested it by dragging a small image file and it worked fine.

Here's the problem though...when I'm in itunes, and I drag some songs in, therefor transfering files onto the external HD(thats where i keep my music collection), I get an error message every single time after a few seconds of trying to transfer!

Here are screen shots.

Picture%201.png

Picture%205.png

So it looks like for whatever reason it is writing to the drive correctly...has anyone else had this problem or have suggestions???

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Have you run scandisk on it from the PC

OP
getuptogetdown
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
yea...still no luck....i might backup the drive, reformat it, then try again if i have to

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Here's the problem though...when I'm in itunes, and I drag some songs in, therefor transfering files onto the external HD(thats where i keep my music collection), I get an error message every single time after a few seconds of trying to transfer!

Uh... I'm confused. You say you drag songs "in" (from the external HD to iTunes), yet you say that this is transferring file onto the external HD. Can you be a little more clear on exactly what it is you are doing?

OP
getuptogetdown
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes. I have a bunch of audio files on my computer and when i try to put them into my itunes library it tries to copy the files to my external HD (i have it set so it copies my files to my itunes library...which is on my external HD) and when it tries to do that, it fails...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes. I have a bunch of audio files on my computer and when i try to put them into my itunes library it tries to copy the files to my external HD (i have it set so it copies my files to my itunes library...which is on my external HD) and when it tries to do that, it fails...

Ah Ok... that makes more sense. I thought the files originated on the external.

Well I for one can only suggest contacting Paragon and see what that code means. To be honest though, I'm flipping through their forums now, and apparently their NTFS driver has a LOT of issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you copy files on to that drive from the finder

Have you checked the permissions of both the iTunes library folder and the library xml file?

OP
getuptogetdown
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah i just seemed to lose a bunch of my files!!! all my music, and some pictures!!!

I have time machine backup this external hard drive...do you think i will be able to format the drive, and then have time machine put them back on the drive??

i really hope so...so far this is a disaster.

Should I just format the drive to a mac format?? It sounds like it might be better....buuttt I also just paid $40 for that software...and preferably I would like to have a readable and writeable drive for both my mac and pc in NTFS format....

OP
getuptogetdown
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah...things done really seem to be copying out of itunes either even though it says it should....im thinking i should reformat the HD in NTFS, install my paragon NTFS, and try to do a recovery through time machine....if that doesnt work...im in a lot of trouble...all my pictures, etc. could be gone....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you have a back-up (very wise) I would go for the reformat route, and may be give a fresh NTFS drive a try one more time, before thinking of either using HFS+ or FAT32

OP
getuptogetdown
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well, the backup is through time machine....so does that mean that the hard drive will have to be in the same format as it is now (NTFS) for it to transfer back on??

Also...it seems like paragon obviously isn't stable so is it worth just formatting to HFS+???? This isn't ideal but seems like it might be the only stable solution. I don't want to have to make a million backups on different hard drives just to make sure because this isnt stable....

has anyone else had this problem or people who use paragon have never had any problems with it??

OP
getuptogetdown
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well it appears that Paragon created a bunch of corrupt files while trying to transfer....NTFS-3g didnt do this...but it did stop working after a few days....soooo for people using programs for NTFS on mac...I would probably suggest staying away!!!

As for time machine...im hoping i can pull those files off and put them onto a mac formated disk...

I have heard of programs that allow windows to read/write HFS+???

Does windows even read this format?? and just not right?? Or neither??

And if I do need to use my HFS+ formated drive on a pc...can I keep the installiation file on a flash drive, install it on a friends computer, then read/write to my HD?? Or is that unstable??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah...things done really seem to be copying out of itunes either even though it says it should....im thinking i should reformat the HD in NTFS, install my paragon NTFS, and try to do a recovery through time machine....if that doesnt work...im in a lot of trouble...all my pictures, etc. could be gone....

YOu keep mentioning you are using iTunes to copy files? Try copying direct from the Finder, not iTunes.

OP
getuptogetdown
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah...i tried that too...it didn't work.

I've got a bunch of corrupt files now.

So now I'm just trying to find more options. Has anyone else had paragon problems??

Also...like I asked above.....
And if I do need to use my HFS+ formated drive on a pc...can I keep the installiation file on a flash drive, install it on a friends computer, then read/write to my HD?? Or is that unstable??

OP
getuptogetdown
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also...is there a solution if I have windows xp and parallels on my computer??

Will this allow for a NTFS drive to be writeable, even on the macOS side of things?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Paragon's NTFS for OS X was updated today... addresses a LOT of problems. Upgrade to that and see how things work out for ya.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.