• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

YouTube - 2 quick questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
The video you have uploaded is too large, please shrink it and try again with the smaller version.​

Twice now I have got this message after waiting several hours for the upload. It would have been my 23rd video upload to YouTube, it is under ten minutes and like all the others was compressed from i-movie to Quicktime. I have never had a problem before and I don't see how a file size can be too large. If it is compressed and it's within the ten min limit - what is the problem?

SHARE/SHARE/EXPERT SETTINGS is the path I always take and is the best quality I seem to be able to get, yet isn't as good as some of the movie trailers and pro stuff on YouTube. Is there a way to reach this level of quality?

Many thanks,

CR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
There are two size limits for YouTube; 10mins of time, and 100MB file size. Is the file size over 100MBs? You can lower the data rate in the via the expert settings to create a smaller size file. I try to get _just_ under that 100MB limit.

Tricks to keep the quality high may be to deinterlace the video, lower the frame rate to 15fps second, and increase the frequency of the key frames. You'll need to experiment. Check out the first two guides I wrote.

OP
cameronryan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
Cheers Xstep.

The file size is 1.01 GB which is really annoying, i'll try to recompress it with a different setting.

Cheers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.