Dumb questions about iBook from a new guy

M

Maxp0wer2004

I have a few questions about iBook, and i dont seem to find answers anywhere else:

1. Can it show screensavers?
2. Where are the speakers?
3. Is it better than PowerBook?

I have been thinking of these questions, looking for answers, but i havent found them anywhere.

OP
M

m1k

Yeah, it can show screensavers. Cool Mac OS X screensavers like Flurry that beat the pants off typical Windows ones.

The speakers are right above the keyboard (check some pics, you'll see what I mean). They're on the same horizontal plane that the keyboard is on, but pointing towards you (they point in the same direction that the keys point in). Sorry, I can't think of a better way to describe it.

Nope, the PowerBook is the laptopo supremo, sorry. But the iBook is a great consumer-level product. It's cheap, very powerful (although not as powerful as the PowerBook), offers plenty of expansion options, and now offers built-in wi-fi. And it looks good.

If you're just doing web surfing, email, word processing and the occasional game, the iBook offers the best bang for your buck. It's actually quite powerful, great battery life, etc. But unfortunately the PowerBook is better. But it's also almost twice as expensive for comparable models. But you do get what you pay for.

Good luck, hope this helps,
m1k

Reaction score
1. Yes
2. Just above the keyboard on both sides
3. The powerbook is better, it has DVI out, faster CPUs, faster RAM, i think it has FireWire 800, made of aluminum instead of plastic, and better screen options.

It been awhile since the powerbooks have had anything new with them, if I was going to get out I would wait till they maybe revise it a bit, I would hate to buy one then a short while later something better comes out.

edit: you beat me to responding...

OP
D

Devoidarex

Powerbooks are better than iBooks, and Acuras are better than Hondas, but most people don't really need an Acura more than they need a Honda.

OP
M

m1k

1. Yes
2. Just above the keyboard on both sides
3. The powerbook is better, it has DVI out, faster CPUs, faster RAM, i think it has FireWire 800, made of aluminum instead of plastic, and better screen options.

It been awhile since the powerbooks have had anything new with them, if I was going to get out I would wait till they maybe revise it a bit, I would hate to buy one then a short while later something better comes out.

edit: you beat me to responding...

The PowerBook 12" doesn't have FireWire 800, but the 15" and 17" models do. It also has a better graphics card, and only better screen options if you get the 15" or 17" models.

The PowerBooks are due to refresh sometime in January to February. Considering the newest iBook line just came out, it may be a good idea to get an iBook rather than waiting 4 months or more for the PowerBook G5s.

Check the Apple site (www.apple.com) for more info on the differences between the iBook and the PowerBook. There are quite a few :)

Cheers,
m1k

Reaction score
If I have time tomorrow, I am going to get my 12in iBook, so long as I don't change my mind between now and 10 tomorrow morning.

OP
D

Devoidarex

Well, I'm on my second day with my 12" iBook, and I love it. I've never owned an apple product, but I've read plenty about them.

I must say that this is one polished little machine. Very well thought out.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I think most people overdo it when it comes to computers. They buy more than they need. I browse the net, check email, take notes in class, burn cds and mess with my digital photos. A 1.2Ghz iBook will suffice to do all of that. Period.

If you make your living working with computers, you may have a different perspective. My point is simply this: don't get suckered in to trying to keep up with the Joneses in the computer world, because you NEVER can. The newest iBooks are sweet little machines that can hold their own for the VAST majority of their buyers.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Devoidarex said:
Acuras are better than Hondas, but most people don't really need an Acura more than they need a Honda.

Just a side note: Honda makes Acura, Acura is the Honda's luxury line of cars. :)

OP
C

code777

i agree devoidarex, sure if you got $2000 to blow (or use the ol evil credit card) then of course I'd get a powerbook but being practical and well trying not to get myself into MORE debt I bought the 12" iBook w/RAM upgrade with cash. I could have got the 14" but I really saw no speed difference at all. Smaller screen does not bother me (same resolution) and its a lot more compact. I figured i'd spend that extra $300 on more RAM and a laptop bag, mouse, and BT adapter. My budget was $1350 so... I did well and am very happy with the 12".

Yes a almost lost my head and wanted to use ol evil credit card to buy the 15" Powerbook (one of my buddies bought one earlier this year) but after comparing the iBook with the Powerbook and then looking at what I am using this for (mainly surfing the net, iTunes, iPhoto) I figured why spend all this money to get the 15" Powerbook. Sure I'd love to have it but I don't need it. the iBook does just fine. Even my friend with the Powerbook said he made a mistake in buying the Powerbook, his needs don't need all that power but he was drawn to it because of its looks and the thought of how powerful it is when in reality he told me he doesn't use it to the extent its made for.

So you just have to evaluate your needs and your budget. Don't use evil credit!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Oh, I though it was a disease... silly name!

OP
D

Desolate One

rman said:
Just a side note: Honda makes Acura, Acura is the Honda's luxury line of cars. :)

And Apple makes both the PB and iB. I thought it was a nice analogy. :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Desolate One said:
And Apple makes both the PB and iB. I thought it was a nice analogy. :)

I did not see it as an analogy. My bad. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.