How to get unlocked US iPhone for use in Europe?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4, iMac, iPod
I'd like to get an unlocked iPhone for use in Europe. A few questions:
- do you know a reliable vendor to purchase an unlocked iPhone from?
- will the next software upgrade cause problems with an unlocked iPhone?
- should a US iPhone work on the European GSM network?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Buy a regular iPhone from the Apple Store or the AT&T store and unlock it yourself. It's very simple to do and you save money by not having to pay a ridiculous markup for an already unlocked phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I'm on AT&T, but I recently took the plunge into this mainly for third party programs after hearing Apple's announcement and not liking the idea of Apple telling me what programs I'd like to have. Go to either www.howardforums.com or www.modmyifone.com and look up info on a program called Pwnage. I've done a lot of research, and this is hands down the best way to go about doing it, and fully reversible.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4, iMac, iPod
Buy a regular iPhone from the Apple Store or the AT&T store and unlock it yourself. It's very simple to do and you save money by not having to pay a ridiculous markup for an already unlocked phone.
Kash, from what I see, Apple and AT&T charge about $600 for the 16GB iPhone. eMallgroup sells it for $620, which is not too bad. Next question of course is can I trust a vendor like this to have unlocked it properly? And how great a risk do I run that a future version of the iPhone software makes it useless as soon as it detects the phone has been unlocked? I'd hate to spend this kind of money only to end up with a doorstop in a few months....

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4, iMac, iPod
Does 'fully reversible' protect it against software updates in the sense that as soon as a new version of the software becomes available, I should un-unlock the phone, download the software and then re-unlock? All of this of course to make sure that a future update doesn't mess with the phone because I've unlocked it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wouldn't trust an outside vendor. Getting into things like unlocking is entirely different territory from the mainstream retail world. You don't know exactly what they're doing to it, and if it breaks down you can't go back to the manufacturer for help in this case.

Yes, fully reversible does mean you will be safe for future updates, or even situations where may need to have Apple service the device. You just have to revert the software back to factory specs, which is possible and easy with Pwnage. Plus you can revert back befor updates so your phone isn't bricked. However, chances are with the Pwnage method you won't need to. I can't go into details, but computability with future updates is already almost assured, and even if it isn't you can either put off updating until it is or go back to factory until it is. This is the essential capability that makes this particular method superior, and makes using other methods or buying a phone unlocked a bad idea.

You probably have reservations about doing it. I won't lie and say it's full proof, but no unlocking is and it's better for you to know how it's done and what you're doing in case something does go wrong. And to be honest, it's not that hard at all. The developers have made it a very simple point and click GUI interface. With a little reading, you shouldn't have a problem doing it yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kash, from what I see, Apple and AT&T charge about $600 for the 16GB iPhone. eMallgroup sells it for $620, which is not too bad. Next question of course is can I trust a vendor like this to have unlocked it properly? And how great a risk do I run that a future version of the iPhone software makes it useless as soon as it detects the phone has been unlocked? I'd hate to spend this kind of money only to end up with a doorstop in a few months....

Don't know where you're looking, but Apple only charges $500 for the 16GB iPhone

Apple Store

When you have an unlocked phone, you would have to update the firmware for it to get bricked. Fortunately, there's a process called virginizing the phone where it reverses the unlock. You can then update the software, and then unlock the phone again.

Take a look at a program called ZiPhone, it's great for unlocking and jailbreaking the iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The problem with ZiPhone, from what I've read, is that it will automatically downgrade your bootloader to a previous version and is not reversible through the ZiPhone's software or through simply restoring your iPhone. This could potentially cause problems with updates, and warranty should you need service. It's a big reason why many seem to prefer Pwnage over ZiPhone. There's another significant reason why people prefer Pwnage that has to do with future iPhone update releases, which I can't discuss but you can find out with some searching.

ZiPhone is also simple and good for enabling third party apps. I used it for mine because I didn't need to unlock. I needed to unlock, like you, I would go for Pwnage. Unless there's a way to restore bootloader with ZiPhone that I don't know of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
blackbook 2.0ghz 2gb
fleurya, why can't you discuss the point about Pwnage and future iPhone update releases?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Because they involve methods that violate the iPhone EULA, which is a violation of Mac-Forum rule #4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
blackbook 2.0ghz 2gb
Wow, I did not know that. I thought it was free range here. I should probably read the rules. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
correct. there are aspects of these programs which are, apparently, within the scope of Apple's EULA and what can be discussed on this forum. Then there are other aspects which are clearly in violation of Apple's EULA and beta testing agreements which definitely cannot be discussed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fortunately, a lot of these discussions will be easier to discuss once the 2.0 firmware comes out as there won't be as much of a need to jailbreak. Unlocking, of course, remains under the purview of rule #4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP-2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB, 250GB SATA, 8X Superdrive
nm

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.