hard drive+ram upgrade questions (i searched the forum so sorry if this is n00b)

Reaction score
Alright so I just bought a brand new MBP santa rosa 15" from the apple.com clearance...it should be here by monday... and at the same time i ordered a samsung 320 HD and 4gb ram kit from Other World Computing because 120gb isnt enough for all my music cause im a DJ..

well anyways, I already checked out the ifixit guide to installing everything and i have all the essential tools... but my thing is that all the forums and blogs i searched stated that in order to start the MBP its necessary to have the old drive as an external? im lost on that part... because what i was thinking is that since im starting off fresh i can just install all the hardware and just pop in the boot cd... or does the stock HD have boot utilities?

btw this is my first mac... someone help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
Alright so I just bought a brand new MBP santa rosa 15" from the apple.com clearance...it should be here by monday... and at the same time i ordered a samsung 320 HD and 4gb ram kit from Other World Computing because 120gb isnt enough for all my music cause im a DJ..

well anyways, I already checked out the ifixit guide to installing everything and i have all the essential tools... but my thing is that all the forums and blogs i searched stated that in order to start the MBP its necessary to have the old drive as an external? im lost on that part... because what i was thinking is that since im starting off fresh i can just install all the hardware and just pop in the boot cd... or does the stock HD have boot utilities?

btw this is my first mac... someone help?

to the best of my knowledge...

you seam to have it right...
you should be able to install the hard drive, (realizing that it will void your warranty) pop in the leopard instillation disk, and install leopard. This will be a fresh instillation.
Make sure you back up everything on your old hard drive before doing this.

you would have to have your old drive in an external enclosure only if you wanted to continue boot your OLD instillation of leopard which you say you do not want to do.

hope I made this clear enough

OP
V
Reaction score
:D oh ok thank man, yeah that helped alot, cuz basically i figured that the stock HD is basically empty... thank for the help, now i have a 120hd for sale any one wanna place offer??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.