Bootcamp - Stopped the windows installation

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I just tried to install Windows on my macbook and got to the point where you have to format your disk in a BIOS type of screen and have to select NTFS or FAT. Now, it finished that and restarted.. But I'm not getting anything. Windows will not start up. When I check with the MAC OS X install cd I do see the 'WINDOWS' directory on 'Disk Utility'.

Now, what do I do? I can't get my OS X to start up, WINDOWS won't start up and I only get 'insert bootable disk'.

I don't know what to do, since the MAC OS X disk does not .. install OS X for some dark reason. So..

1. Can I get my original OS X install back?(no backups)
2. Or, if 1 fails, can I finish the windows install? If so, how?
3. How do I reinstall Leopard?

Thnx in advance guys :)

UPDATE: Seemingly, I formatted a 130gb partition.. Which is strange since I said '10gb'. Now I'll be forced to reinstall the entire MAC OS X install... But how do I do it?
UPDATE2: Finished the winXP install.. Don't know what to expect now ;o

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
you will need to reinstall leopard with you leopard/restore disk
to do that:

1) turn on you computer (in order to allow the superdrive to accept/load the disk in step 2)
2) insert your leopard disk
3) turn off your computer by holding the power button
4) turn your computer back on while holding down alt option
5) a few selections should appear on your screen (I cant say exactly what it will look like due to your corrupted instillation)
6) If OS X is one of the options, try to boot it...
7) if not, select the icon with the CD icon
8) the leopard disk will load, follow the instructions, and you should be good to go...

you may need to restore you hard drive to one partition using disk utility from the leopard disk but I am not completely sure...

OP
Z
Reaction score
Hmm, already tried that.. But everything is disabled, and I don't get the whole size of my hard disk.. Gonna retry right now

EDIT: Btw, I only have install disc 1 and 2 ;o
EDIT2: Yeah, my MAC install was gone. Thank god I can reinstall now(what I'm doing at this moment). Thnx for the help, and no way in  I'm trying this again :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Zain,

I just installed XP using Boot Camp yesterday... It wants you to re-insert the Windows CD.

Could be that the Windows install program got to the point where it needs to re-boot (does that on a PC, shortly after the format instruction). It acts differently in Boot Camp - the screen turns gray-white and it spits out your Windows CD. You should just put the Windows CD back in and it should resume the install. But if you see "Boot from CD?" come up on the screen, just ignore it. That will occur twice while you're installing Windows using Boot Camp...

I hope you haven't re-installed OS X yet...

If you have, try the Boot Camp thing again and just remember after the format, the CD will come out of the computer twice accompanied by the gray-white screen. Just re-insert and it will continue to load Windows.

Noel

OP
Z
Reaction score
Thanks Noels, but something went very, very wrong. My OS X install was gone, not strange seeing as 121GB just vanished.

I might try it again, but I will be using FAT32.. In the end, I did get Windows to work(with a 121GB partition ;o) but with no MAC install.. So I deleted it again. Besides, Windows wouldn't shut down.

I might try it again, but after I backup lol. One of my important projects has died in action, so that's a good lesson.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.