Soda spilled on Macbook

Reaction score
To make a long story short, my roommate spilled a bunch of Sprite all over my Macbook last night. He didn't leave a note or call me, only let me walk in to my room to see it upside down with the battery pulled out. I'm leaving it to dry for another six hours or so, but it was on when it spilled, so I'm not holding my breath that it's going to work. I'm fairly certain my Apple warranty won't work on water damage as most electronics warranties don't, but if anyone knows otherwise please let me know. Also, any other advice as to what I should do (other than stab my roommate) would be appreciated.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
wait more than six hours.

at least he did that much though, he could have saved it, will still probably have to be cleaned with alcohol. but it may be a cheaper fix.

if it does cost you anything, this idiot should be paying for it, period.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
The Apple warranty specifically excludes liquid ingress BUT you may well be lucky. Let if dry thoroughly and I mean thoroughly, give it a few days. It may well work. My daughter spilled tea on hers and after taking it apart and cleaning it it was fine!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
If it works, but the keyboard is completely ruined by the stickiness, make your roommate buy you a replacement one. That would at least help, if thats all the liquid got to.

Otherwise, absolutely make your roommate pay for a new one. I think anyone would agree that it's the thing to do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.