Static Electricity Discharge: Will It Harm My iMac 20"?

Reaction score
I just recently purchased an iMac 20" and it's working pretty good. I live in a dry climate and I'm constantly getting a discharge when I touch the keyboard (aluminum version).

I've never had a computer that had metal exposed like this and I'm wondering what my risks are? I've gotten pretty good about touching something metal before I work with it but it's happening at least once a day.

Can someone discuss whether the machine is somehow protected from discharges or any optional approaches. I may get one of those keyboard protectors to cut that source down. I may end up buying some other keyboard (though I love the aluminum one). Maybe a wireless one and a wireless mouse would isolate me from the machine. I want this computer to last a while.

OP
E
Reaction score
OK, I'm going to answer my own post.

An interim solution that has cut the problem down 90% is a powerful humidifier. I've been running one for a couple of days now and I'm not getting the explosive static discharges I had been.

I'm also going to eventually glue down some foil on the edge of the table and connect it to a water pipe but this is taking more time to implement.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.