Windows Media Player on Mac OS X

Reaction score
Is there a windows media player for mac os X? I am using flip 4 mac as of now. I was wondering if there was any other wmp that can be installed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
why do you need to run wmp?

Reaction score
I am a completely new to mac and its systems. What i do know is that my mac came with quicktime player. quicktime will not open certain files for me that wmp does on my main pc
9 a windows pc). Im guessing thats why he wants to know if their is a working mac version. I would like to know myself. I googled but every-time i try and open an .exe file it tells me that the program cannot be run in DOS mode. Thats why i joined the forums. To get help on how to get out of that mode. Just thought i would post here first as its the first thing i saw.

-spike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2ghz 2GB RAM, Aluminum Imac 2GB RAM 500GB HDD, Dell Insprion 5160, 512mb Ram, Windows XP
there is a WMP 9 for Mac. its on the microsoft web site. just search windows media player mac, and it will show up. HOwever, it can only play WMP and WMV formats. MP3 did not work for me. Just stick to itunes or use songbird. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
use vlc will play anything.

and download perian & flip4mac so quicktime can play anything.

Reaction score
Has anyone used the windows media player for mac?
The National Lacrosse League puts their games online via B2 networks and it says it requires WMP. The season is almost over so I won't need it till the season starts up again. I decided not to try this season because my current internet connection isn't always reliable, but I may in the future if WMP works well :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
WMP 9 for Mac has not really had any updates from MS for several years.
If you want to play Win media files - you'll need Flip4Mac.
Even MS site recommends this app.

It will play all WM files except protected (DRM'd) files.
There is no player for the Mac that will play the Win DRM'd files that I am aware of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
WMP for Mac is no longer supported like bobtomay has stated.

Flip4Mac and Perian should be everything you need.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.