Fan Speed Abnormally High

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Video| 15" MacBook Pro | iPod Shuffle
I let my mac sleep sometimes when I take breaks from homework. Everytime I come back, I wake it up and I see that the fan speed is over 2000 rpm. Isn't that really high? Its usually around 1000 rpm. What Im wondering is: Do the fans still run when the mac is asleep? If so, then I'm putting my mac to hard work when its sleeping and its better to turn it off. Thanks.

T

todd51

No, the fans don't run when the computer is asleep. There must be some sort of application running in the background causing the fan speed to be high. What programs are you all running when the fans are at 2000?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Destructive,

To follow up in Todds' advice, check your dock to see if there are any white dots behind the icons. If you have one running, that white dot will be there to tell you...

One other thing occurs to me - the fans may follow the heat. If a fan is running like that and there is no app running, it could be high temps from your processor or chip set causing the fan to spin up... I'm not familiar with Mac temperature apps, but I did find one at http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19994 - might help

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
I let my mac sleep sometimes when I take breaks from homework. Everytime I come back, I wake it up and I see that the fan speed is over 2000 rpm. Isn't that really high? Its usually around 1000 rpm. What Im wondering is: Do the fans still run when the mac is asleep? If so, then I'm putting my mac to hard work when its sleeping and its better to turn it off. Thanks.
what kind of macbook pro do you have.

OP
Destructive
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Video| 15" MacBook Pro | iPod Shuffle
Its a 15'' MBP from 2006.
2 GHz Intel Core Duo
512 MB 667 MHz RAM.
Right now, its awake and at 121 degrees and 1001 rpm.
I quit all my dock apps and the fans still do that weird thing. Normally when i let it sleep I have finder, dashboard, quicksilver, camino, and maybe textmate running. None of those should really cause that much fan speed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
Its a 15'' MBP from 2006.
2 GHz Intel Core Duo
512 MB 667 MHz RAM.
Right now, its awake and at 121 degrees and 1001 rpm.
I quit all my dock apps and the fans still do that weird thing. Normally when i let it sleep I have finder, dashboard, quicksilver, camino, and maybe textmate running. None of those should really cause that much fan speed.
ok...
the default fan speed is 1000rpm on your system...

the reason I was asking is that the Santa Rosa and Penyrn Macbook Pros have a default fan speed of 2000rpm.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.