clicking sound when turns on

Reaction score
ive had my imac g5 for about a year and a half now and it started making a clicking sound when it would come back from sleep. a couple days ago i shut it down and now i try to turn it on and it makes the same clicking sound but osx never starts up it just shows a white screen and eventually a folder with a ? inside pops up.

i have a feeling its the hard drive and i also am past the warrentee so its prob gonna cost me a bunch to fix

OP
T
Reaction score
i ran the hardware test and it said there was no problems. weird enough i took the disk out and restarted and everything worked.

so luckily im on it right now n im just backing up what i can to some disks n then ill prob bring it to the apple store to get checked out and ill prob spend massive amounts of money for it :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Keep an eye on SMART verified in Disk Utility. If it advises failing get a new HD in there asap.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.