MacBook Pro...?

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, I'll definately do some research on macs, try one and I will consider owning one for sure. I need to understand one thing though, what about installing Windows? Do I need some sort of special version of it for mac? What about AutoCAD, do I need to install Windows in order to use it?

Reaction score
You have two options for running Windows:

1) Use Boot-Camp which comes on the new OS X Leopard discs.
-Boot camp will partition the system so you can basically choose at start-up whether you want to run 100% Windows or 100% OS X Leopard. To switch from Windows to OS X, you will have to restart the system.

2) Use a virtual OS program like Parallels or VMWare Fusion.
-One of these great programs will let you run a "virtual and live" Windows or other OS. So your in Mac, and need to quickly get into Windows. Just click on Parallels or VMWare Fusion and you can boot Windows up right away and run OS X + Windows simultaneously. These programs give pretty much everything your computer has (i.e. superdrive, usb etc') to the running OS('s). You can drag a file from the Windows screen onto your Mac. Check Youtube for VMWare Fusion and/or Parallels.

Now for AutoCAD...

It's either a Mac/Windows version, or both. Check to see the OS compatibility for the program.

If it is only windows based, you are much better off running it through boot camp rather than a virtual OS.

To run either Boot Camp or a Virtual OS program, you will need to have a legitimate copy of Windows XP SP2 or Vista I believe.

So basically, it's better in performance to run AutoCAD on straight boot camp windows because you will not lack as much performance as you would with a virtual OS.

Hope I answered your question(s)!

Cheers.
-AC.

OP
L
Reaction score
AConfire:

When I use Boot Camp you mean that my Mac comes with Windows pre-installed? Or do I need to have a copy of my own? Does it only support XP or Vista too?

Reaction score
Corbri,

In my opinion the MBP keyboard, or at least the one I own, is very mushy and suffers from the known discrepancy of skipping typed letters. I have downloaded all the updates for the keyboard but it had no effect. I thought it might just be me but there have been many other posts regarding this problem and when my son borrowed my MBP this weekend his first comment using a Mac was "what's wrong with the keyboard". Needless to say I have to take it to Apple for a fix. I also don't understand why Apple doesn't have a backspace key?!

Swedevb

OP
L
Reaction score
I got a question, what do you guys think about Belkin accessories? Like, the MacBook messenger case for example? I'm waiting for my leather flap case for my iPod touch so I can't really tell about the quality of the product yet, but they look very cool, what's ur opinion on Belkin cases compared to other options, that look "made for Apple" ?

Reaction score
AConfire:

When I use Boot Camp you mean that my Mac comes with Windows pre-installed? Or do I need to have a copy of my own? Does it only support XP or Vista too?

Not really..

Boot-Camp is basically a program that comes on the OS X Leopard disc's which will allow you to run both MAC OS X or Windows OS on start-up. You need to supply your own legitimate copy of whatever OS you want to use.

If you want to use XP, it must be SP2.

You can use pretty much any OS. XP, Vista, etc'.

Hope this helped :)
-AC

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been covered yet but the quad core, 8 core processors are sort of a gimmick seeing that almost no software is configured to run on multiple processors...
I don't know about autocad but for most users dual core is more than enough... and Vista is a beast by itself as someone already covered.
8800GTS can be either a crappy card or a dang good one. I have the 8800GTS320 in my PC right now & its just ok I'm pretty dissapointed with it compared to my friends 512 version of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
I need you guys to sell me into the Mac so I can truly see why so many people in graphic design and music are into Macs despite the chance of getting much more "powerful" computers in the market for nearly the same prices.
The single most important deciding factor in choosing a Mac is the OS. Period.

If you're looking for people to "sell you in" to the computer, you don't dig the OS enough to want it over a windows box.

-Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
Not really..

Boot-Camp is basically a program that comes on the OS X Leopard disc's which will allow you to run both MAC OS X or Windows OS on start-up. You need to supply your own legitimate copy of whatever OS you want to use.

If you want to use XP, it must be SP2.

You can use pretty much any OS. XP, Vista, etc'.

Hope this helped :)
-AC

When you say a "legitimate" copy of the program do you mean that the OS will "detect" if it's a non-ligitimate copy? Just curious because I live in south america and here "legitimate" software is like seeing snow in Egypt...

Reaction score
When you say a "legitimate" copy of the program do you mean that the OS will "detect" if it's a non-ligitimate copy? Just curious because I live in south america and here "legitimate" software is like seeing snow in Egypt...

:Smirk: I like that...

I'm sure your copy will work as long as it is XP SP2 or Vista..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.