Question about the LCD screen

Reaction score
I have a 15.4 inch Macbook Pro that the LCD screen has been broken. Upon speaking to Apple, I was quoted a high price to fix it. Do I have to replace the screen with an Apple screen or will any monitor work? If so, how do I tell which screen will work and which ones won't? Found some on eBay that are reasonable.

thanks.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have a 15.4 inch Macbook Pro that the LCD screen has been broken. Upon speaking to Apple, I was quoted a high price to fix it. Do I have to replace the screen with an Apple screen or will any monitor work? If so, how do I tell which screen will work and which ones won't? Found some on eBay that are reasonable.

thanks.

It's not that simple. You need to find a screen with an appropriate inverter that also fits within the proprietary brackets. I would check out iFixIt.com, Macservice.com or TechRestore.com.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank you. I kinda figured that Apple would make it where only Apply products would work, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask

:)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you. I kinda figured that Apple would make it where only Apply products would work, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask

It's not that, it's that the structural and aesthetic elements of a laptop design require a specific case and inverter. The same applies to just about every make and model of laptop I've ever serviced. If you could remove the display itself and get the manufacturer's model number from the back, you might be able to Google that model number and shop around a bit.

IMO, you're better off just going with iFixIt.com or MacService.com (the latter especially if you've never worked on a laptop before - Apple's tend to be very difficult to service compared to others I've worked on).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.53Ghz, 4GB ram, 500gb hd -- Apple TV 160gb -- MacMini 1.83ghz
There's a "how-to" on the Internet of a guy who swap the 1440x900 screen for a high-res screen (1920x1200). If you are willing to do it yourself, and are confident with this upgrade, then it seems a great idea.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hooking it up to a CRT

For the time being, could it be hooked up to a CRT so that I still could use it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I don't see why not. If you have a USB mouse and keyboard you could just use it in clamshell mode.

OP
T
Reaction score
How do I put it in "claim shell" mode? Is there a certain setting that I need to put the Mac on or will it just plug and play like a PC? This is my first Mac and I'm learning. I love it and I am so sad that I haven't been able to use it.

Thanks again to everyone who replied.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Attach a mouse and keyboard. Close the lid and allow the machine to go into sleep mode. You'll know it's in Sleep mode because the status light (near the latch release button) will begin to pulsate. Then, move the mouse to wake it up. Now your MacBook Pro is operating in "clamshell" mode.

OP
T
Reaction score
Ah, ok. At this point, will it be displayed on my CRT or do I need to do further adjustments to the settings? I feel that a pain asking so many questions, sorry.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, ok. At this point, will it be displayed on my CRT or do I need to do further adjustments to the settings? I feel that a pain asking so many questions, sorry.

Well, hopefully, OS X will detect the presence of your external display and automatically switch it on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.