• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Goodbye MacBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
Well the time has come for me to leave the macbook community. I started off about 5 years ago with an ibook, and now have a macbook. After dealing with macbook issues and apple geniuses I have decided the time has come for me to leave the macbook community and go to a windows based machine. My macbook is 15 months or so old now. # or so months after i got it, i replaced the hard-drive due to a crash of unknown cause. I have had a few keys fall of and still haven't found my option key. My yahoo messenger isn't too great when trying to talk to my wife, she is on an hp laptop, yahoo messenger loes a lot of features when on a mac. I am military and gone a lot so yahoo messenger is a must-have so i can talk to my kids. My palmrest is cracked and although this is an ongoing known macbook issue, the apple geniuses are giving me a hard time about fixing it because i am out of my applecare plan. Now just this week my macbook power cord burnt up. The nearest apple store is over an hour away, so I called apple. I told them the problem with the power cord and they told me that since my applecare was up, I was out of luck. I then asked if this was a known issue (I knoew it was due to a little web research). The apple guy on the phone told me that this has happened to quite a few people, but that the number of people with the problem wasn't worth a free fix due to the lrge number of problem free macbooks out there. He then tried to sell e a new power-brick over the phone for $70 or so dollars. Anyway, long story short, I am going back to windows, and will be putting my macbook up for sale in the for sale section within the next few days. sold my ibook on here a while back, so now time to sell my macbook as well. Oh well, have to go computer shopping now. thanks for letting me vent.

Reaction score
I can think of some fixes to maybe help your problem. But I will not go into it. I will just say goodluck. And hopefully things work out better for you in the future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Core 2 duo 2.2ghz, 120 gig HDD, 4 gigs of RAM
Good luck with that. You just think you have problems now just wait till you start dealing with Vista :Grimmace:

Reaction score
why not go back to an ibook, or upgrade to a mac book pro?

In any case, good luck, hope you're happy with your decison

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
good luck spending similar amounts of money and more time on your windows machines and windows! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
Sucks. Sounds like you got a lemon. Check out tigerdirect.com sometime. Maybe they will have some laptops you would want to look at.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
That's not good to hear but I must say your right on about Yahoo Messenger. When I switched to my iMac and used YM it missed features that I used on YM on my windows machine like Sharing Photos, video chat, confrence chat and I can't save my chat history. YM has a lot of work to improve them messenger for Mac's, so does AIM for that matter:p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Too true, but at least AIM works on iChat which is pretty good and has all sorts of dandy features.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Have you tried the latest Beta of Yahoo for OSX? Now does Voice, Phone calls and Video.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Pick the best tool for the job. If you think that's going to be a Windows machine, go for it. Might I recommend the Dell XPS M1330 or M1530 (larger screen)? Very nice machines, competitively priced and well built.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Good luck with that. You just think you have problems now just wait till you start dealing with Vista :Grimmace:
My thoughts exactly. Good luck to ya!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Quad 2.66, 1 Gig Ram, 2 x 250GB HDD, 1 500GB HDD---Black MB 2.0 Duo, 2 Gig Ram, 320GB HDD

My girlfriend just bought a new laptop running Vista. It's crashed right out of the box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
Did you point and laugh at her? LOL!

Friend's macbook also crashed right out of the box. In fact, after he registered Leopard the thing just didn't respond and then the crash screen came on.

He and her should get together sometime.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.