Problem with Onyx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Help...

I downloaded and installed Onyx yesterday and started executing some of its features. So far, so good! last night I started the "Automation" section and it has been running for several hours to do the "Deleting Recent Items", and I can't find any way to stop it. I can't shut it down, trash it, etc... Seems to me deleting items should be a relatively fast job. And it has slowed my Mac down considerably...

Is this normal? And if it isn't, how can I get this app either to work properly or to shut down?

I've never seen an app this controlling...

Noel

M

MacHeadCase

I personally use MainMenu. It has a few less features but it does what I need. I just manually launch it first thing each morning and run the maintenance scripts.

Can you force quit OnyX by holding down Command + Option + Escape ?

OP
Noels
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacHeadCase,

Thanks, I'll definitely try it. But first, how do I shut down this Onyx?

Noel

M

MacHeadCase

Well Force Quit will shut OnyX down if it can get control over it. You use Force Quit on apps that hang. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. :Oops:

edited to add :

Did you try clicking on the OnyX app once to highlight it, then right-clicking and select Quit from the contextual menu window ?

OP
Noels
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacHeadCase,

The selecting and right clicking and Quit didn't work... BUT Force Quit did!

I didn't know about Force Quit before, so I spotlighted it and got the skinny on it, and IT WORKED!

Thanks, I do appreciate that. Now I know how to control those unruly apps :)

Now to download MainMenu.

Noel

OP
Noels
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacHeadCase,

Must be me - I downloaded MainMenu and I'm having problems with it now. I double-clicked its .dmg file and dragged the application to the App/Utilities folder (maybe a mistake not putting it in the applications folder), then double clicked on its file there. It asked if I wanted to get the latest update and I clicked "Yes." Another .dmg folder on the desktop and I went through the process again and ended up with the .dmg folder and a couple of files on the desktop. Not sure which one I clicked at this point, but now apparently the program is running and I don't see any program - can't quit it because it is apparently running in 2 places... :) :) Too funny to be real.

I can't quit one because it's running. Can't quit the other because one is running. Can't Force Quit because all it will allow to Force Quit is Finder...

Help again please,

Noel

Reaction score
Look on your desktop - is there an icon of a cdrom? If so right click it to see if it is MainMenu, if so tell it to quit and then drag the icon into the trash. (You are not having a very good day are you??)

OP
Noels
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PapaNoHair,

You're right - one of those days, and I still have to mow the lawn :) But I did have good luck with Toast (that's anther post),

I re-booted and one copy went away so I put the other in the trash. That left me with the one in my apps folder. Now I start it and realize the app shows up in the menu bar as a small icon, so all is well now that I know what to look for.

I'm running cleaning now. Thanks for the help, all...

Noel

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
MainMenu does not appear on your desktop like Oynx. It' opens an Icon in the Menubar by the clock and speaker symbol. Click on that and you can use it or quit it.

Picture 2.jpg

OP
Noels
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dtravis7,

Thanks, I did figure that one out after a little thinking about it... Now I know if I don't see what I'm looking for, I'll check the menu bar :)

BTW, Just changed the icon to a hammer and wrench. I thought the original was Spaces...

Noel

M

MacHeadCase

MacHeadCase,

The selecting and right clicking and Quit didn't work... BUT Force Quit did!

I didn't know about Force Quit before, so I spotlighted it and got the skinny on it, and IT WORKED!

Thanks, I do appreciate that. Now I know how to control those unruly apps :)

Now to download MainMenu.

Noel

*Phew* Glad you got out of that jam. Run-away apps are a pain. :Grimmace:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.