Typing "@" in Win XP on MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Hello everybody.

It's a trivial question, but the issue is driving me up the wall: I can't get my Mac to give me @ sign under Windows XP! When I press the "alt U+2325" key and key "2", instead of giving me @ sign the pile of junk activates File, Edit, View and all the rest of menus, so I can browse them with arrow keys. I don't want to use arrowkeys for menu operation, all I want is @ sign back, so I can type e-mail addresses in peace.

I'm at the end of my wits here. Please help. :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
When I press the "alt U+2325" key and key "2"

Well, I don't exactly know what that means, but how about just hitting the "shift" and "2" keys? Work fine for me in OS X and Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
you dont' need the U if your going to do it that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
Shift+ " will do it. By that I mean the key with " at the top and , on the bottom.

Quirky isn't it?

OP
P
Reaction score
alt U+2325 issue: the U+2325 is unicode or something for the bizzare icon on Mac alt key (looks like a switch of some sort). What I meant is I press alt+" (same as alt+2) and nothing happens. Shift combos do not work either. Shift+2 will give me " and only ", not @.

Can anyone tell me the differnce between Alt and Alt Gr on Mac keyboard then?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If Shift+2 doesn't do it, then there's something wrong. Maybe the Mac keyboard drivers didn't install correctly. You might want to try reinstalling them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2ghz 2GB RAM, Aluminum Imac 2GB RAM 500GB HDD, Dell Insprion 5160, 512mb Ram, Windows XP
shift+2 dumb dumb! @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
Mmmm, that's bizarre. I notice that when I run XP in a VM that my keyboard 'reverts' to a 'proper' UK keyboard (on a laptop remember).

So the " key is where the @ key is on a US keyboard. ed confusing but basically if you're not sure, it's just fun pressing every key combination imaginable until you get it.

'Tis a trifle erratic, but is that part of the charm, or is it just plain annoying? Perhaps, like beauty, it's in the eye of the beholder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
ctrl+option+2 = @ using Xp via Fusion

OP
P
Reaction score
brianwmay, fleurya - thanks a lot for the advice, but...

reinstalled drivers - no help
tried all (well, everything reasonable that came into my head) key combos to get the bloody @ - ain't getting it

I'm getting really aggravated here. One guy said "just reinstall XP" ;D Ain't gonna do it until I figure out what the  is going on. For Christ's sake, I don't want a Chinese spellcheck, all I want is bleeding @-symbol :Shouting:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If you do shift + " do you get an @?

If so go into Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options - Languages tab - Details button (Text services and input languages)

Add the English(UK) keyboard and make it default or add the English(US) keyboard and make it default. Whichever it isn't at the moment.

OP
P
Reaction score
mrplow - been there, done that. And it does not work either. Thanks for input anyway.

Folks, any more ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well, Bootcamp is supported by Apple now. So as long as you can still contact Apple for support, I would say call them. It's pretty ridiculous such a simple and basic thing is not working correctly.

Reaction score
Is this a regional keyboard issue? @@@@ works just fine for me on my MB in XP under Fusion (and did under Boot Camp as well). Shift-2. Good luck in solving it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.