Help me decide - macro lens

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
I'm trying to decide between these 3 macro lenses in order from highest to lowest price for my Canon EOS 30D:
http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/90mm.asp
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=155&modelid=11156
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3252&navigator=5

I can't decide, i'm getting this for strict macro work, flowers, bugs, hopefully commercial work eventually. I do like that the Sigma has the f/45 min, but it is 50mm, and i already have a 50mm lens that tales decent macros, even though it's not a macro lens. The Tamron has a better price than the Canon 100mm and looks cooler too . The Canon and the Sigma both have the same focusing distance, 7.4in. I do like to get close to my subjects, the Tamron has a 11.4 in distance.

What does everyone else think is the best to have?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - Penryn 2.4ghz
Canon 2.8 hands down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Those are all quality lenses, the advantage of the canon is that it doesn't extend. But optically they're equally good.
I'd get the Tamron if I were you, I'm looking for a macro lens too and I'll probably buy that one..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
I have the Sigma for my Pentax, it works great. Since you already have a 50mm i would go for the Tamron, it is 1:1 like the others but you won't need to get too close to your subject (read: bee's stings are painful).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - Penryn 2.4ghz
Any reason why?

Definitely the best build quality. Tamron is the only one that is close in capabilities, but I don't like the feel of it at all. I'm definitely a canon guy and slightly biased, but you get what you pay for. I would rent the canon and then make your decision. If you're patient you can find them for a decent price on potn or fredmiranda.

Sample photo from my Canon 100mm 2.8:

IMG_1948.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G
Hands down, and your wallet too, for the Canon 100mm, I've owned the lens for a few years now and you could say its almost too sharp for some applications, well recommended for macro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
I've been in the market for a macro for a while now and had it down to those 3 lenses. I decided on the Tamron 90mm because it allows you to get equally as close as the Sigma, without having to get quite as close! And it won out over the Canon since Tamron generally have higher quality glass.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.