Cool desktop "cube" program

J_K

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Mhz, added superdrive and 320gb HD
I've seen it on here somewhere but I spent about 3 hours searching for it but I just can't find the thread I saw.

So I know this is a repost but I can't find the original no matter what search I use..

I'm looking for a program that gives you a cube with different sides which are desktops.

Please help me. I've been looking for ages!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Isn't that for Linux?

In any case, if you want to see it on the mac (it was there before Linux copied it), you just create another user account. And when you switch accounts, it will use the cube animation to switch from accounts.

OP
J_K

J_K

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think it's called Beryl for Linux. I could be wrong. I didn't get on with Linux very well.

Thats the thing. But I have seen a post on here about a version for mac that doesn't require the multiple users and switching users business.

OP
J_K

J_K

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Found a great 1 for my PC called Yod'm.

Installed Virtuedesktop on the macbook but it's not quite what I'm after..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
There were at least a few multiple desktop apps out prior to Leopard, but I can't think of their names right now. Maybe a google search for multiple desktops and Tiger will get you there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz i7 (2013) | 15"MacBook Pro 2.6GHz (2018) both OS 10.14.1 | iPhone 6 OS 12.1
this is interesting...can you elaborate a little on when this happens though...i mean if its not for multipe user switching...then what does it rotate to?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
this is interesting...can you elaborate a little on when this happens though...i mean if its not for multipe user switching...then what does it rotate to?
it just rotates to the login screen where you login to a different account...
to try it out:
1) open system preferences
2) click accounts
3) click login options
4) unlock the accounts preference pane (click the lock on the bottom left and enter your password)
5) check enable fast user switching
6) in the menubar click your name and select Login Window...
you will then be taken to the login window with a cube transition...

this is unrelated to the topic in this tread, did not interpert post correctly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz i7 (2013) | 15"MacBook Pro 2.6GHz (2018) both OS 10.14.1 | iPhone 6 OS 12.1
haha...i think im not being clear with my posts today...i understand the account switching with the rotation..but jk said he saw it hapening for something else....as i can see from the other posts it was probably beryl...

Reaction score
haha...i think im not being clear with my posts today...i understand the account switching with the rotation..but jk said he saw it hapening for something else....as i can see from the other posts it was probably beryl...
That's exactly what I thought too, which is why I posted that link. At first glance, the video seems to be a Mac with a rotating cube instead of Beryl running on a Linux box with a Mac-like theme for its desktop, which is what it actually is.

(BTW, the movie that's playing in that video is "Pirates of Silicon Valley" with Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak look-alikes.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP

you were very clear in your posts... I understand what is wanted to be done... (I want to do it too :D)
I just read your post wrong - I though you were asking what the "user switch" cube rotated to.

OP
J_K

J_K

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I really want is the same as Yod'm http://lifehacker.com/software/virtual-desktops/download-of-the-day-yodm-3d-windows-255448.php. but for the mac.
I've put yod'm on my desktop PC and it's pretty good.

I'm running virtue desktop on the mac but it won't zoom away of you see what I mean... You just get the screen flicking across.
It's pretty close. Just no cigar.

Nputer. I was in Miami in Feb on holiday. Well Vero Beach about 100 miles up the coast. We did a day trip down to Miami and I liked it there. Nice place to visit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.