What's Multi Touch good for?

Reaction score
Got a new MBP with Multitouch. what are some of the advantage, programs I can use it on?

Reaction score
The only thing that I could see myself really using it for is to go back a page in my browser without having to actually click the button. But I have never actually tried it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You can rotate (plant one finger and pivot the other around it), zoom (pinch) and move (swipe) between pictures in preview... and I think pinching out goes to fullscreen in Quicktime.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
It is good for impressing chicks :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
I love multi touch so far. The best feature for me so far is using two fingers to scroll up and down websites, files, or any other windows that need to be scrolled through. It works for scrolling left to right too. Just put two fingers down and move which direction you want to scroll. Try it out, it awesome. If you use safari, use three fingers and swipe left or right, to go back or forward through websites. If you want to zoom in your screen hold control then use to fingers and swipe up to zoom in and out. I tend not to use photo rotation or anything like that, but those are cool too. If you go into setting, there are small video tutorials on how to do some of them.

OP
D
Reaction score
wtih my old mbp 2 fingers always scrolls and what not, the new 3 finger and the pinch and pull is all new... so it would not work with other browser beside safari ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Not out of the box. Download MultiClutch though and it will. I'm using it in mozilla currently. You can also customize gestures with it, which can be handy anyway. As odd as it sounds the multitouch is one of my favorite things about my new mbp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Mac Book 2.4GHZ, 2GB
Hey all,

I'd like to get the feedback of those of you who own a Mac (with the Multitouch feature).
Basically I just want to know if this feature once you get to use it becomes essential in your daily use or is it more a cool & nice thing to have.

Currently I'm owning a laptop pc and about to switch in the near future for a MB. I know that the current MB doesn't have the multitouch but if we assume that it will after the next upgrade, would you think it's worthwile to wait and have this feature? As I'm only using the trackpad on my laptop I was wondering if the multitouch could improve the usability or productivity.

Thanks

OP
D
Reaction score
Hijacker!

Hey all,

I'd like to get the feedback of those of you who own a Mac (with the Multitouch feature).
Basically I just want to know if this feature once you get to use it becomes essential in your daily use or is it more a cool & nice thing to have.

Currently I'm owning a laptop pc and about to switch in the near future for a MB. I know that the current MB doesn't have the multitouch but if we assume that it will after the next upgrade, would you think it's worthwile to wait and have this feature? As I'm only using the trackpad on my laptop I was wondering if the multitouch could improve the usability or productivity.

Thanks

You might be better off starting your own thread instead of hijacking mine. :Angry:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
I love multi touch so far. The best feature for me so far is using two fingers to scroll up and down websites, files, or any other windows that need to be scrolled through. It works for scrolling left to right too. Just put two fingers down and move which direction you want to scroll. Try it out, it awesome. If you use safari, use three fingers and swipe left or right, to go back or forward through websites. If you want to zoom in your screen hold control then use to fingers and swipe up to zoom in and out. I tend not to use photo rotation or anything like that, but those are cool too. If you go into setting, there are small video tutorials on how to do some of them.

Technically, all of those abilities except for the three finger back/forward in Safari are not due to MultiTouch, but rather due to it being a sensibly functional laptop. These abilities are present even in my 18 month old MBP.

IMHO, it's doubtful that the MultiTouch will be included in the next refresh of the MB, so I don't think it's safe to assume that at all. Since they didn't include it in the previous revision of the MBs, my feeling is that they're treating MultiTouch as a "pro" feature. I could be wrong, but I'm merely saying that the assumption isn't sound. I'd get the MB now if you want one. I don't have the new features on my old MBP, and I get along just fine. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
The MB already has the two finger scroll and right click which is all you need really. That pinching and zooming can only go so far. I'd say go for the MB while you need it. If however you are not in a hurry you could wait (Have the MBs gone 45nm penryn yet?).

@dannieboyz: He is certainly not hijacking your thread which has been dead for like two months now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
Didn't know about the quicktime trick to go to full screen i'll be using that one a lot now. I use it in iPhoto to zoom when fixing red eye and also the three finger swipe for the browser and in finder to go back and forth through the pages or folders.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Mac Book 2.4GHZ, 2GB
You might be better off starting your own thread instead of hijacking mine. :Angry:

Sorry if you think that but it wasn't the intent. I just thought that before creating a new thread (that could be redundant) it would be more appropriate to do a search on the topic I was looking for. sorry again

IMHO, it's doubtful that the MultiTouch will be included in the next refresh of the MB, so I don't think it's safe to assume that at all. Since they didn't include it in the previous revision of the MBs, my feeling is that they're treating MultiTouch as a "pro" feature. I could be wrong, but I'm merely saying that the assumption isn't sound. I'd get the MB now if you want one. I don't have the new features on my old MBP, and I get along just fine. :)

That's a good point!!

The MB already has the two finger scroll and right click which is all you need really. That pinching and zooming can only go so far. I'd say go for the MB while you need it. If however you are not in a hurry you could wait (Have the MBs gone 45nm penryn yet?).

This is perfect if the MB already has the scroll as I'm constantly scrolling on the trackpad on my current laptop! A friend of mine who got a MBP showed me the 2 finger scroll which looked really efficient but I wasn't sure that the MB got it!!

I'm not in a hurry and I'm still saving some money to be able to buy my MB so by the time I'll get the money if nothing new is out I'll go for the current MB even if an upgrade's done few weeks later.

Thanks for the help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.