• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How can I run Final Cut Express from my iMac

Reaction score
Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: iMac
Machine Model: PowerMac6,1
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (3.3)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 133 MHz

Ok so this is what I got. I want to run final cut express, but it gives me a lame message about the system not being powerful enough or something.

Now, it does not show the message, but just starts... then magically disappears. I am a bit new to mac, Ill be honest, but I could not figure out how to run it from a terminal so I could diagnose what was going on.

Some help would be appreciated, in both figuring out how to get the thing running... and just on how to run the app in command line.

thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What version of Final Cut Express is it? Also what version of OSX are you running?

OP
S
Reaction score
yah I know, but I honestly dont care, as I have no plans to upgrade the mac.

I just want to figure out how to get around that. It is actually the only program i need to run, so I simply dont mind making the machine dedicated.

That is...

Slim down the system, so it is optomized to run just that program. Can I not just kill some of the other programs to free up ram and stuff? Could I add another stick... how bout overclocking my cpu?

Reaction score
If you don't want to upgrade your Mac then I don't think there's anything you can really do. There's a reason why they have system requirements, because they are REQUIRED.

Maybe you can find an older version of Final Cut Express that'll run on your system.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you don't want to upgrade your Mac then I don't think there's anything you can really do. There's a reason why they have system requirements, because they are REQUIRED.

Maybe you can find an older version of Final Cut Express that'll run on your system.

Final Cut Express 2 would probably work. I own it and it works on some of my older G4's.

OP
S
Reaction score

well when you work for a childrens camp, in which is a non-profit organization, you do not have the luxury of upgrading.
As for system requirements, Ive found plenty of workarounds to do nearly anything I have needed to set out and do. For goodness sakes, i was running windows 2000 on a pentium 1 with 22 mb's of ram. When there is a will, there is a way. Anyways, if I can only figure out how to run the darn program from cli, i can find out maybe why its crashing. Could someone at least help me do that? Think of the children, WONT SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I owned FCE 4 I would go out of my way to try and help, but I have 2.0 here and it's way different. I did leave you a PM though. See if it helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.