• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Saw an iMac for the first time...

Reaction score
Today I was able to check out a Bestbuy that had the apple section in it...I walked over to the imac and I was blown away...The screen is beautiful and the 24" screen is huge, I think that really goes with my needs...I feel like it is perfect in many ways...The OS obviously, the screen is nice, I looked at iMovie and I watched the HD video that they had on there and it played and I could rewind it without any lag. I want to use an apple for video editing, I have a Sony Sr11 and I want to edit the video without any lag like I have with Sony Vegas...The only and I mean only game that I play is Sims2..and I want to prepare for sims3 when it comes out...I want to know if the iMac 2.8 Ghz 500 GB Hard Drive, 4 GB of Ram...would be enough for my needs...And the other question I have is whether the 2.4 and 2.8 is a real difference because it cost about 400 bucks more.

Video editing with Final Cut Express
Aperture 2
and Sims 2
Sims 3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD
I would say that the mac specs you listed would be mighty fine for what you want to do. And I would also say the the 2.4 GHz is plenty fast enough for video editing which is going to be the most intensive thing you want to do on that there iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4Ghz 4GB RAM 500GB OWC Mercury Elite Pro external HD 80GB iPod Classic
I agree with KB3GZW, the 2.8 would be great, but the 2.4GHz would be just fine for everything you want to run. I do video editing and play World of Warcraft on my 2.4 GHz iMac with 4 GB and it seems like it never breaks a sweat.
I would like to give a little advice on the RAM though. When you do get your iMac, do not get the RAM upgrade through Apple. Way to expensive. You can get RAM at a fraction of the cost elsewhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 2.8G, 24", 2 gig ram and it feels good
Get it!

I got mine last week & I am enjoying it alot. I picked up Final Cut which was a must.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Do some research on using the camera with FCE. Someone in this thread is having trouble with an SR12

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook & G4
hi, I noticed you mentioned you have Final Cut for your iMac. I just bought an iMac and installed Final Cut. However, it says I'm missing an AGP or PCI Extreme graphics cards to run the program. Did you have any problems such as this?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.