Mail removed msgs from server! Can i get them back??

Reaction score
Horay! I've registered! (usually i'll find an answer to any problems i have by searching)... but not this one :(

I have a POP account with the hosting of my website.
Even though i'm happy to sign in through a browser, and it works absolutley fine, i thought i'd connect Mail up to it... just to see if i'd benifit from it.
Took ages, lots of hassles etc... Doesn't seem like messages i send are going through anyway end result is i want to go back to using my POP account in a browser...

Why try fixing something that isn't broken!? ha!

So... while i was 'setting up' and tinkering with the Mail application i flicked a little tick switch in the 'mail>preferences>accounts>advanced' settings that removed messages from my POP account server the second mail retrieved them.

Now, i have no messages in my POP account inbox - as you'd expect. So two questions...

1) I want them back! Can i put them back onto the POP account??

2) If not, and if i remove the Mail popaccount (as i no longer wish to use it) where will my messages go!? Are they in a folder somewhere i can still read?

Essay over, thanks in advance for any help!
Andy :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
I suppose you could email yourself the messages. That would put them on the server again.
The actual messages are in your homefolder~Library/Mail/your Account/ (inbox, etc...)/Messages

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Don't delete the account. Just go to preferences -> accounts -> advanced and uncheck the remove copy from server after retrieving a message. Once done, then you can do as Soulwar suggested and resend the mail to your self. Which should place it back on your isp's server.

OP
S
Reaction score
Don't delete the account. Just go to preferences -> accounts -> advanced and uncheck the remove copy from server after retrieving a message. Once done, then you can do as Soulwar suggested and resend the mail to your self. Which should place it back on your isp's server.

Sounds like a plan. I already unchecked that, but i cannot get mail to send out emails properly :(

from my host i've found all the smtp info and entered it in. Messages appear sent, with no errors appearing, BUT they never arrive. E.g. i've tried to send one to myself, and its apparently sends, but i never get it :S

Cheers for the replys so far! :)

EDIT: Ah, not to worry, i've found the files, i'll keep those for record for the time being. And i'll be getting rid of this crappy mail app pronto!

Cheers for the help! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.