Yahoo + Mail?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white Macbook, 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB RAM, 120GB hard drive
I have a normal yahoo email account, is there a way for me to use that with Mail? Or would I have to upgrade?

Thanks!

ETA a screen shot: they say I get POP access if I upgrade, so I'm assuming that I don't have it if I don't pay for it. - And POP is what I need to use Mail, right?

Picture 1.png

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have a normal yahoo email account, is there a way for me to use that with Mail? Or would I have to upgrade?

Thanks!

ETA a screen shot: they say I get POP access if I upgrade, so I'm assuming that I don't have it if I don't pay for it. - And POP is what I need to use Mail, right?

Try MacFreePOPs. It will allow you to use Mail to check just about any web-based mail account.

OP
ILoveMyMacbook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is what I get for being impatient... :Oops: I already upgraded my email. - But I bookmarked that, so thanks!

But I still have a problem - I can't send emails with Mail. :( I think I set everything right, but it won't accept my password, and I know I'm typing it right. Plus, I can download the emails with no problems. :eek:

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is what I get for being impatient... :Oops: I already upgraded my email. - But I bookmarked that, so thanks!

But I still have a problem - I can't send emails with Mail. :( I think I set everything right, but it won't accept my password, and I know I'm typing it right. Plus, I can download the emails with no problems. :eek:

Check you outgoing (SMTP) mail server settings, it should be set like this:

2008-04-24_1020.png

OP
ILoveMyMacbook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm...

I have:

1b8fb852.png

e6e3ec27.png

And it still doesn't work.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks good to me. It's pretty much identical to mine.

OP
ILoveMyMacbook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, but it doesn't work. I sent yahoo an email, I'll post the reply here when I get it.

I also tried to use Thunderbird - I figured that if the problem was caused by Mail, TB wouldn't have it - but the same happened: it asked me for my password and didn't accept it.

So I'm hoping yahoo support will be able to fix this. :|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Seriously? Yahoo charge people for POP access?
Is this 1994?

Switch to Gmail...

Edit: I realise it probably seems like quite a hassle, but GMail even give you free IMAP!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Seriously? Yahoo charge people for POP access?
Is this 1994?

Switch to Gmail...

Edit: I realise it probably seems like quite a hassle, but GMail even give you free IMAP!

Easier said than done. I've been trying to move off Yahoo Mail over to Gmail, but so much stuff is directed there as it was my "universal" account for so long. It's a pretty reasonable fee, as I recall (maybe $10/year). I was using MacFreePOPs, but they update it so frequently that I got tired of it and just switched to full POP access.

OP
ILoveMyMacbook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Easier said than done. I've been trying to move off Yahoo Mail over to Gmail, but so much stuff is directed there as it was my "universal" account for so long. It's a pretty reasonable fee, as I recall (maybe $10/year).

What he said. My yahoo email is what I use for everything, I've had it for years, the fee isn't a lot (20$/year ~12€/year), so I'll work with it for now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah - I do understand the reasoning, but I dislike that type of forced lock-in...
Don't get my wrong - Gmail isn't perfect, but they seem open enough to make moving away again simple.

Reaction score
Yahoo mail (the free one) now does support pop forwarding, so you could use mac mail with it. Just in case everyone is looking at the mails above. :)

Mine's working fine. Well...almost....search my posts and you'll see my dilemna.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Old thread alert.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.