help! control+click doesn't work with finder :(

A

alphadyte

help! control+click relaunches the finder and no contextual menu

hi, I've recently switched and have a powerbook.

I want to zip some files and i've read that by doing the control + click i can get a menu (as a right click) to compress the files. However, whenever I press control+click on the finder, nothing shows up and it relaunches. Is this normal or did I screw up something? :eek:neye:

Also, any tips on how to compress files to be compatible with both mac os x and windows will be appreciated.

By the way, I apologize if this has been discussed earlier but I've been looking around and didn't find anything related to this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
control+clicking should work that way, its called a contextual menu, and the stuffit menu will only be there if you have stuffit deluxe. if you do, thee are several options that are windows and mac compatible.

OP
A

alphadyte

Macman said:
control+clicking should work that way, its called a contextual menu, and the stuffit menu will only be there if you have stuffit deluxe. if you do, thee are several options that are windows and mac compatible.

I know the contextual menu should appear but it doesn't, instead, finder closes and opens again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thats not good, repair permissions several times, restart, try again, if not, try zapping the pram.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First, Repair permissions:
open disk utility located in the utilities folder inside applications, select your hd,
click repair permissions, allow it to do it, then do it again, restart your mac, do it one more time, restart your mac, thats it. you can click verify perissions first to check if any need repair, though they will, so you dont need to verify first, and going straight to repairing wont damage anything if nothing needs repairing.

Zap PRAM:
shut down your mac, start up holding down option+command+p+r, hold until you hear the mac chime at least 4 times, many speculate 2 is enough, and it sometimes is, though apple says 5, others say 7, use what you will, but at least 3 or 4 times is good.this may cause your clock and date to be reset when you start up fully, and your dock may be empty, as all this is stored in parameter ram
(pram), but that should be it, keep us posted.

OP
A

alphadyte

Macman said:
First, Repair permissions:
open disk utility located in the utilities folder inside applications, select your hd,
click repair permissions, allow it to do it, then do it again, restart your mac, do it one more time, restart your mac, thats it. you can click verify perissions first to check if any need repair, though they will, so you dont need to verify first, and going straight to repairing wont damage anything if nothing needs repairing.

Zap PRAM:
shut down your mac, start up holding down option+command+p+r, hold until you hear the mac chime at least 4 times, many speculate 2 is enough, and it sometimes is, though apple says 5, others say 7, use what you will, but at least 3 or 4 times is good.this may cause your clock and date to be reset when you start up fully, and your dock may be empty, as all this is stored in parameter ram
(pram), but that should be it, keep us posted.

I did both and the same problem occurs.
When I did the zap pram thing the date was still the same and the dock was just as it was. I did this 4 times, and then did it again 7 times, same thing.

OP
A

alphadyte

Nevermind! I found a folder called contextual menu in the libraries and it had one called jmzip (which was a program i used to have and then deleted) so i deleted it and the contextual menu worked just fine.

Thanks anyway:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.