I don't know why I didn't do this sooner....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHz MBP, 4GB, 320GB
I'm probably not the most common "switcher" in that I've dabbled with OSX before, but I never really committed to using anything Apple (besides my iPod). I'm a developer by trade, and like most I started in the Windows world. Then I grew up, my skills increased, and I turned to the Linux world. I've been firmly there for the past few years, and only running Windows when I had to (one client is a MS shop, so I do .NET work for them).

I've actually owned a G4-450MHz "AGP Graphics" Mac for a few years -- but it just collects dust. I bought it to see what the fuss was with the then new OSX. It looked great -- but the developer tools didn't suit the work I was doing, and it wasn't the fastest box in the world. So it sat while I continued on my path.

Fast forward to last week, when I again got a bug to check out how Apple was doing. The post on Slashdot about the $399 Psystar vaporware "OpenMAC" was the spark that got me again curious. Of course I noticed the big Leopard buzz, a buddy I work with was all into the keynote address, etc. None of that really caught my eye -- but that $399 Mac did. But of course it seemed fishy as all getout, but that didn't quell my curiosity. So I marched over to the osx86 folks and read a bunch of stuff. It got me interested enough to give it a whirl -- so I installed OSX on an old Dell laptop I had been using for years. Again, it's not the fastest unit in the house, but it runs Ubuntu wonderfully -- lets give OSX a try. Partitioned the hard drive, followed the instructions, and gave OSX a go -- wow, works pretty good, even on that old Dell! Other than this being a 5 year old machine, and having a couple hardware quirks, I thought to myself "I can get used to OSX!".

Two days later, I decided it was time to upgrade. Based directly on the experience of being able to try out OSX thanks to the efforts of the osx86 group, I am now sitting here typing this on my brand new 15" Macbook Pro. I wiped out the HDD on the old Dell and gave it to the kid with a fresh install of Ubuntu. :)

As soon as this MBP arrived, I immediately installed 4GB ram, installed a copy of VMWare Fusion (definitely buying that, it rocks!) and imaged my Windows volume to it -- so this ONE Mac will now take the place of two previous machines. I don't need Ubuntu on it, because I already set it up with all the development tools I had on that old laptop. THREE IN ONE !!!

Anyway, I'm rambling :) But I like everything about this MBP so far. The feel of it is great, the display is awesome (glossy, it rocks), it's nice and quick, and everything just .. works... What a concept!

Reaction score
Glad to hear you are enjoying your MBP and became apart of the Mac-Forums family! I hope you keep enjoying your MBP and feel free to post any questions you may have if you don't find them already answered on previous posts.

Once again, welcome to Mac-Forums!

<><

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHz MBP, 4GB, 320GB
Thanks for the welcome! The only question now, is what do I do with my old G4 PowerMac? :lol:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
Thanks for the welcome! The only question now, is what do I do with my old G4 PowerMac? :lol:

open the eyes of other non-believers....lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
You could set it up as a file server or music server...

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHz MBP, 4GB, 320GB
I gave the G4 to my brother for a while, and he played around with it too, but his job keeps him in the Windows world. His personal machines are all Linux-based PC's though. He's a "wires n' pliers" kinda guy for sure, so I doubt he'll ever switch to the "closed hardware" mentality of an Apple ;)

I have a decently stout Linux box that was my previous development workstation, which is now serving pretty much exclusively as my "everything" server. Since getting the MBP, I've only VNC'ed to it :p

The G4 donation idea isn't a bad one -- we've got several local charities that could always use some help, or maybe my son's school could use it.

Speaking of donations, does anyone have a use for some old CRT monitors? I've got one each in every size from 15" to 21" collecting dust. FREE of charge, just figure out how to get them from here to you ;) I can't seem to pawn these off on anyone, now that LCD's are so popular!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
The G4 donation idea isn't a bad one -- we've got several local charities that could always use some help, or maybe my son's school could use it.

would probably be an awesome tax write off.

no?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I'm a developer by trade

[...] So I marched over to the osx86 folks and read a bunch of stuff. It got me interested enough to give it a whirl -- so I installed OSX on an old Dell laptop I had been using for years. Again, it's not the fastest unit in the house, but it runs Ubuntu wonderfully -- lets give OSX a try.

So tell me, where can I download your code, without paying you, so that I can give it a try?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).

I'll take it off your hands. You must be so bothered with it taking up space, so I'll do you a favor and do it for free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.