very loud superdrive..only me?

Reaction score
whenever i put a disk into my macbook it makes a horrible sound like its eating the disk...everything works fine im just wondering if mines is the only one that makes these crazy noises

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
whenever i put a disk into my macbook it makes a horrible sound like its eating the disk...everything works fine im just wondering if mines is the only one that makes these crazy noises

Still under warranty? Take it to your local Apple store and have them look at it. The superdrive should be fairly quiet even when burning.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5 2ghz 1.5gb RAM and MBP Core 2 Duo 2.16ghz 2gb RAM
Mine is also pretty loud : ( Not when burning or reading just when loading & unloading...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G4 1.25Ghz Powerbook G4 1.67
Mine did that but only with dvds.
It was faulty and apple would have replaced it.
Unfortunately my machine was riddled with faults so I rejected it, but sounds like you just need a new superdrive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Blackbook 1gb/160gb
Mine does it too, I don't think its faulty though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD
Mines pretty loud when I turn the computer on and when I insert a disc, burn a disc and wake the computer up. I got my MB back in september, It has done this since I got it. It has worked perfectly every time I use it, it just makes that noise.

LWC

Reaction score
Apple has some sample sounds on their site so you can compare the sounds that you are hearing from your superdrive.
Click here

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.5GHz, 2Gb RAM, 250Gb HDD, 512Mb VRAM
Apple has some sample sounds on their site so you can compare the sounds that you are hearing from your superdrive.
Click here

I was just browsing the site, but thanks for the link. I've had my MBP for a few weeks, and was never quite sure whether the mechanical noises when I put a disc in were normal. Thanks to your post, I'm happy it's running ok. Thanks! :D

Reaction score
My MacBook drive is the same way--very noisy. I've only loaded, ejected, and accessed CDs from it...have never used the drive to burn a disc so I can't make a call there. I'm just assuming it's the design of the unit--sometimes things do get noisier (veterans who remember the switch from Sony to Mitsubishi floppy drives circa 1993 may recall how much noisier the eject got there).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD
Yea thanks for that link. Mine sounds the same. The only thing you can't tell is how loud the sounds are, The only way to tell would be to run your own test.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.