VMware or parallels?

Reaction score
OK Long story updated old G4 Ibook...someone stole it. Now have a Imac and can install Windows being on the new intel chip. I have a great copy of anti-virus and XP, but I don't know what app. to get for her. I just got a gb of ram (so 2gb, but might just sell new ram and get 4 gb soon) and think I can run either fine.

The price is the same for each...Which is better? I read alot on this, but it doesn't really tell me from the users themselves. Please help in which app I should pay for and use.

Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
This question must have been asked dozens of times on this forum alone. There is no 'right or wrong' answer, it's just down to individual preference.

I use Parallels on a MacBook with 2 gigs of RAM, and I run XP and SuSE Linux just fine. VM Fusion has (slightly) better DX9 support and runs multi-core applications a little quicker. However if speed and games are your thing, Bootcamp beats both.

I think Parallels has a smaller footprint, and I like how you can launch your Mac apps within Windows if necessary.

Download both, try them both out, and see which you like best.

OP
P
Reaction score
This question must have been asked dozens of times on this forum alone. There is no 'right or wrong' answer, it's just down to individual preference.

I use Parallels on a MacBook with 2 gigs of RAM, and I run XP and SuSE Linux just fine. VM Fusion has (slightly) better DX9 support and runs multi-core applications a little quicker. However if speed and games are your thing, Bootcamp beats both.

I think Parallels has a smaller footprint, and I like how you can launch your Mac apps within Windows if necessary.

Download both, try them both out, and see which you like best.

Hmm....I am going to set it up with Bootcamp 1st. I am worried for I saw nothing but issues using it. Now that was when it was new, but I think most are corrected? I also didn't like the fact VMware is still beta vs. Parallels is about to launch it's 3rd version.

Great idea about trying them out..I didn't think about that..lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm....I am going to set it up with Bootcamp 1st. I am worried for I saw nothing but issues using it. Now that was when it was new, but I think most are corrected? I also didn't like the fact VMware is still beta vs. Parallels is about to launch it's 3rd version.

Great idea about trying them out..I didn't think about that..lol.

Well VM Fusion is no longer in Beta and Parallels launched V3 about 9 months ago... maybe you got stuck in time? ;D

Seriously, it depends on what you plan to do in Windows. If it's gaming, you HAVE to use Bootcamp, or possible Crossover but that's limited. But if you just want standard office apps and the ability to run WM11 and IE, then Parallels or VM is just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
if your needs are not great the try the FREE opensource Virtualbox

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
which is the program that displays two windows on the LCD, a box window for Mac and a box window for Windows? So I can flick from one to the other.

Just out of interest...

Which program is the 'easiest' to install for a new Mac user? I have heard a lot of people having errors and other problems installing all three and I just want one program that is very simple for a very new mac user. With no need to reinstall leopard as i have no idea how.

Reaction score
which is the program that displays two windows on the LCD, a box window for Mac and a box window for Windows? So I can flick from one to the other.

Just out of interest...

Which program is the 'easiest' to install for a new Mac user? I have heard a lot of people having errors and other problems installing all three and I just want one program that is very simple for a very new mac user. With no need to reinstall leopard as i have no idea how.

I've used both BootCamp and VMWare and neither program has required me to reinstall Leopard. I personally prefer VMWare and find it very easy to install. <><

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHz MBP, 4GB, 320GB
I personally chose VMWare for the 64 bit support, not that I'll ever NEED it with only 4GB in the machine. But I like the flexibility.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Parallels is very easy, and it's just like installing any other Mac application. You will not have to install Leopard even if your windows install goes wrong - just drag the entire thing to the trash.

Since both VM Fusion and Parallels are free to trial, why don't you just pick one at random to try out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
Thanks:) I guess when the tme comes I will try one of them or even both. I would need to get a Windows XP package as well.

OP
P
Reaction score
I ended up getting VMware for right now till June they have a 20 rebate. Also sorry for the late information...being stuck in time. That was one of the best info pages about the two app. Thank you all for your input

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.