Pulling my hair out with wireless & Netgear

Reaction score
This problem has been going on for months and now we are using the net more it is really frustrating. Running a new Imac with Netgear DG834G wireless on aol. We get access and then all of a sudden when trying a new page it says we are not connected to the internet. If I hit the back button and try again it sometimes works, then again sometimes doesn't. This goes on all the time and we are lucky if we get a good run without any problems.

It takes repetitive attempts to get onto sites and is very hit & miss.

I have tried telephoning aol, 20 minutes on hold to get cut off on transfer, Live message help 3 times, cut off each time. I am now resorting to piggy backing on somebody else's connection in the building.

I am sure that it is the Netgear router but haven't a clue at how I go about solving the problem, changing the settings etc. We have very little time to hang around waiting on telephones as both working (v.hard!) during the day.

We had the same problem with the powerbook and since buying a new Imac we are still suffering.

Any help, hints, nudges, links would be gratefully appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, 2.5ghz, 4 gig Ram, 250 hard drive, 512 nvidia
I had similar problems and must have gone through a dozen routers until a man in India found that it was interference from other routers. You need to get into the router settings page and change the channel. You will need to try various through trial and error until you find a comfort zone. Even neighborhood routers will cause this issue.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Couple of things ...
Changing the channel will sometimes work.
Also check the DNS settings of your router. Here are the Open DNS settings and how to get to the settings on your router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
4/25/08: 13" White MacBook; 2.4Ghz; 2GB; 160GB
We had this problem with our couple-year old netgear. We bought a new one and suffered the same problem until booting it up in the proper order (shut all off, turn on modem, wait 2 mins, turn on router, wait 1 min, turn on computer). It then configured properly (it had been identifying a static ip instead of dhcp) and appears to be working fine. FTR I had done the reboot on the old router. The best buy salesperson says they just don't last more than a few years.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I tried the DNS settings as per the above posted link and lost everything, I just couldn't get back on the net and had to re-install broadband with aol. Two days later the same problem has re-occurred and we are back to square one.

I have reset the router and had a look at the Netgear settings and it all seems fine, connected at lots of number s that I just don't know anything about. I'm thinking of getting rid of Aol and going with another provider as they are just so hard to get any help from.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.