New Switcher...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz, 4GB Ram, 200GB 7200rpm HD, Glossy - 1TB Time Capsule - 16GB iPhone
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to stop in and say hello, my new mbp is due any day now so i though it about time i introduce myself. In the past i have become a forum addict so theres just a pre warning for you all haha! O:)

Little bit of background to bore you with, im coming to OSX from a life of windows, im only 20 but my life has been spent around windows machines so hopefully this will be a welcome change.

Anyway hopefully ill settle in here quickly and if anyone has any tips for an OSX/Mac Virgin then just fire me a message or post on here.

Cheers Guys...

Kyle

Reaction score
Kyle!!!! We are glad you are making the switch, and welcome to Mac-Forums! Searching the forums will allow you to find a lot of your questions already answered. But if you fail to find your questions answered...feel free to ask! That's why we are here--to help you.

So chillax and welcome to Mac-Forums! <><

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
What's up Kyle? I just switched a couple of weeks ago too...I'm only 23 and I had always used windows based systems as well. I grew up on them and for years I would never even think to go to Mac. After getting into graphic design I decided to make the switch and I am so glad that I did. I had just bought a toshiba laptop a little less than year ago...a nice, expensive laptop, and ran vista on it and I am so glad I'm not doing that anymore. It was awful and now I'm on my macbook pro and it is like heaven. You won't be disappointed. Things actually work how they are supposed to...it's crazy.

I'm sure you will be more than happy with your mac. Enjoy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
congrats on the new mac. I made the switch and i will not be going back anytime soon.

here is a switchers guide that many have found useful.

The best advice i can give you is dont get into the "well this is how i did it on windows so how do i do it on a mac" mind set.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
yes we have another Kyle in here besides me. congrats on the purchase. what model did you get.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro: 7200 RPM 250 HD, 2 gig Ram, 2.4 Gig processor... IPHONE 3g
I'm a newer switcher to. I've found the switch to be almost completely painless. The most important things that I have to suggest to you are:

1.) Remember you have a mac, and it's a good thing. Don't be po'ed when your mac doesn't act like a pc. Be prepared to learn new things. They are easy and will come naturally if you are open minded.

2.) Anything that you have for windows you can almost surely find for a mac in one form or another. You'll also see that most generally anything you could ever need is free (legally too)

This is my favorite site for software you may need:
http://www.opensourcemac.org/

You'll see that instead of mIRC we have colloquy or instead of bittornado we have transmission. The list goes on, lots of great stuff available.

3.) There is lots of fun things you can do with your macbook. LIke making it a smackbook, or making your keyboard blink to your music... lots of other fun stuff. Most of all just remember it's a Mac, and you are happy that it's a mac :)

4.) The worst thing that has continually bothered me about mac even with my open mind is the no right click. You can right click by using command click, but it still doesn't really work the same. It doesn't matter though, it's something you get used to but in my experience that's whats been the hardest to get used to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First gen Mac Pro, Dual 2.66
Grats on your purchase. OS X has become a very rock solid OS, and of course the hardware has always been top notch (except the video,  their always being 2 years behind).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.2C2D 2gb 15.4
Congratz on the switch man.

So chillax and welcome to Mac-Forums! <><

Chillax... ahaha i like that one. I hope u wont charge me if i use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
is smackbook worth doing?? it looks pretty cool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
quicksilver is probably one of the coolest things ever on the switchers guide.

it blows my mind every day.

quicksilver = win

OP
Kyle_Tyrrell
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz, 4GB Ram, 200GB 7200rpm HD, Glossy - 1TB Time Capsule - 16GB iPhone
Hey everyone, thanks for all the great replies i will be sure to check out all the cool stuff you mentioned.

I got a very welcome surprise today, i came home from work to find my brand new mbp (see signature for spec) it wasn't due until may the 1st so i am well happy!

Still finding it weird to get used to but all the more exciting with every click! anyway guys hope your all OK and i am sure you will be hearing much more from me!

Kyle

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well im glad you decided to max out the MBP haha...nice.

and everyone says quicksilver is amazing...i have it, but dont use it much...dont really understand it...i use spotlight to launch apps so im not sure what else it does??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.