• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple to go back to PowerPC in 2009!

Reaction score
it seems like a good buy for apple. they are really concerned with ipod/ipod touch/iphone battery life and if they can develop good chipsets for those and do it with a subsidiary it would probably lower costs etc.. i doubt they will be giong back to PPC for their computers though. Do you remember the hassle it was switching over. Cant be doing that every couple of years, but it wouldnt really matter in the long wrong, nothing wrong with the PPC's if they can get the battery consumption down

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
i doubt they will be giong back to PPC for their computers though. Do you remember the hassle it was switching over. Cant be doing that every couple of years, but it wouldnt really matter in the long wrong, nothing wrong with the PPC's if they can get the battery consumption down

I doubt the same, but your reasoning is off. Mac OS X already runs on PPC. There's no switchover to be had.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Battery consumption in laptops is a weak reason for Apple to switch back their entire line of computers to PPC. Apple and Intel seem to be BFF!! :)

I am glad they switched to Intel. I'd hope they'd continue to partner with them for a few more years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Who cares if they start using PPC again?
What makes a Mac a "Mac" isn't the processor anyway. It's the operating system that makes the real difference. :D

Reaction score
I doubt the same, but your reasoning is off. Mac OS X already runs on PPC. There's no switchover to be had.

no that is fair, i was thinking more logistically though, like they continued to sell the g4 powerbooks for a while even after the MBP had been released, i assume, to satisfy those customers who werent feeling the switchover. Your right though, there wouldn't really be as much of a software issue unless the new PPC are substantially different than past ones.

OP
Zoolook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Battery consumption in laptops is a weak reason for Apple to switch back their entire line of computers to PPC.

It's funny you should say that, because the lack of a PPC successor to theG4 in Laptops was the main driver for going to Intel in the 1st place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's funny you should say that, because the lack of a PPC successor to theG4 in Laptops was the main driver for going to Intel in the 1st place.

True but there a very large difference in reasoning between an extra hour or two of battery life and an absolute hault in production without a light at the end of the tunnel because of a lack of by Motorola or whoever supplied the G4 laptop processors.

Reaction score
True but there a very large difference in reasoning between an extra hour or two of battery life and an absolute hault in production without a light at the end of the tunnel because of a lack of by Motorola or whoever supplied the G4 laptop processors.

yes i believe motorola was doing some bizarre things with their processors that had reduced apple confidence in the future of the processor lineup.
I could be wrong but I heard they were putting a G6 processor together that is much faster than anything currently out by intel, maybe switching wasnt the greatest idea in the first place, but hindsight is 20/20

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes i believe motorola was doing some bizarre things with their processors that had reduced apple confidence in the future of the processor lineup.
I could be wrong but I heard they were putting a G6 processor together that is much faster than anything currently out by intel, maybe switching wasnt the greatest idea in the first place, but hindsight is 20/20

The Power6 is blazing fast. It however doesn't seem practical nor seem like it would fit in a Mac Pro case with all of the hardware it'd require to keep it cool.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I think it's pretty clear that Apple's focus is on handheld computing devices as a platform for the future. In essence, they're looking to build a "tricorder". By buying a semiconductor company that specializes in PPC chips (which they have vast experience with), they can control the development of processors for that platform and also cut costs significantly.

Perhaps this is one of the lessons they learned from the early days as Apple was at the mercy of Commodore to provide MOS 6502 CPUs for the original Apple ][.

Just my initial reaction after reading that story.

OP
Zoolook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Owning your own suppliers isn't necessarily cheaper, unless those suppliers can supply other manufacturers too. If it was simply the case that owning your own supply chain from from front to back made economic sense, then other manufacturers would do it too. They don't, because it isn't cheaper.

That said, Apple is one of the most secretive and controlling companies out there, so if anyone would do it, they would.

Reaction score
Owning your own suppliers isn't necessarily cheaper, unless those suppliers can supply other manufacturers too. If it was simply the case that owning your own supply chain from from front to back made economic sense, then other manufacturers would do it too. They don't, because it isn't cheaper.

That said, Apple is one of the most secretive and controlling companies out there, so if anyone would do it, they would.

it doesnt necessarily need to supply other manufacturers to make economic sense, assuming the business is run efficiently, avoiding the mark up placed on every processor purchased by apple that goes in every ipod/iphone (and there are a lot of them), plus with the direct and complete control over supply would likely be an economically viable venture. The reasons more people dont do it is the overhead costs of an acquisition are often prohibitive, which is not so for a company like apple

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have: 1 Powerbook G4 Ti 667mhz, 512mb,OS X 10.2.8 and TWO Powerbook G4's 1.33ghz, 512mb, OS X 10.3
Even if they did make a PowerPC G6 processor, I think I would prefer intel because they can run Windows. If the PowerPC G6 could run Windows, then I would love it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
OP
Zoolook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it doesnt necessarily need to supply other manufacturers to make economic sense, assuming the business is run efficiently, avoiding the mark up placed on every processor purchased by apple that goes in every ipod/iphone (and there are a lot of them), plus with the direct and complete control over supply would likely be an economically viable venture. The reasons more people dont do it is the overhead costs of an acquisition are often prohibitive, which is not so for a company like apple

I hate to put it this bluntly, but that's simply not the case. If you only own 7% of the PC market (for example) and say 1% of the mobile phone market, you are not going to be able to produce memory chips or CPUs as efficiently and cheaply as a supplier that services the other 99%/93% of the market, even if they are competing with 5 or 10 other suppliers. That's just plain old simple supply/demand - besides if the end product starts to have issues with sales, your entire business goes down the toilet because it's all inter-dependent. This is why no one does it!

Why do you think so many companies outsource so many of their services and manufacturing? You have to own the factories, pay the workers, play the transport, keep up with R+D in hundreds of different fields... plus you cannot benefit from competition amongst the suppliers. It makes no sense to supply your self at all, Apple would be crazy to do it.

Now entering into a partnership makes sense (like Sony and IBM with the Cell processor), but then you'd supply that processor to many other vendors too.

Supply line diversification is a fundamental economic principle, and very few companies stray from it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
If they went back to PPC they would lose support for Windows and most Linux distro's. Which is one of Mac's selling points is that it can run both!

Reaction score
So, I've read that this acquisition could potentially be Apples strategy for new ipod and iphone processors, but what about using this acquisition to come out with a kick butt cheap ultra mobile low power laptop of sorts, kind of like the Asus eee pc?

What do you guys think about that? It seems like a quickly growing market.

Reaction score
While I am a total PPC fanboi, and wish with all my heart they would switch back, I don't know if Apple would do it or not. I suppose since OS X runs on both, it wouldn't be a problem, much.

What I think would be cool, is Apple cranking out Macs with the option of either PPC or Intel. You could buy a PPC Mac for it's sheer power and processing capabilites, or buy an Intel for compatibility with Windows and other programs, your choice. That would absolutely make my year. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.