General Help for an IBM user

Reaction score
Our company recently purchased a used Mac with the Mac OS 9 system on it. It came with some printing equipment that we want to use to make negatives on.

The computer had the Panther Rip software on it, to use the printer.

We have been trying to use this system and keep running into walls.

First, we connected an ethernet cable to the system so we could transfer files to the system - but we can't even connect to the internet. The system tells us the Internet Setup Assistant isn't installed. Where or how does this get done?

We have called a few people in to look at the system, but as of yet, we have not been able to find anyone remotely knowledgeable with Macs.

I thought Macs were supposed to be easy to use? I feel I'm a very confident computer user, but this sytsem has totally humbled me!

Any input or advice will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Our company recently purchased a used Mac with the Mac OS 9 system on it.
What Mac did you purchase?
OS 9 is more or less dead in the water for an OS... Think along the lines of Windows 3.11 versus Windows 98... then you will see the comparison of OS 9 versus OS X.

I would first recommend getting something that can handle the latest version of OS X, since this is obviously for a business.
Telling us what kind of Mac you purchased will let us know if your machine can run OS X or not.

OP
R
Reaction score
The MAC that came with the system is a Power Macintosh 7600/120.

Thanks for the response.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
"The MAC (sic) that came with the system is a Power Macintosh 7600/120."

Then it won't be able to run OS X. What exactly was it purchased for again?
That is a very old machine.
I'm afraid that there won't be too much you can do with that Mac.
I hope you didn't pay too much for it, or that you could possibly return it.
You are going to want to look for something with at least a G4 processor running at 1Ghz or higher for any reliable business use.

Reaction score
If your going to make inhouse negitives of your own and not from outside files you my be able to use the machine. If thats the only software on it. Most likely the internet apps are not there anyway and would not connect at this stage, as the Mac world has moved on. To connect to ethernet you have to go throw a hub.And the ethernet drivers have to be present. But the machine could do lite graphics with a print rip,for comps etc. If you want to do state of the art stuff you need a new Mac as devilboy has said.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
What version of Mac OS 9 are you running? If you are at anything less than 9.2.2 you might want to upgrade to 9.2.2.

You can try searching the Apple Support. You might be able to find some thing there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.